Easy Hamburger Soup is simple and quick to make with lean ground beef and a combination of savory spices. This basic soup recipe is great to put your own twist on by adding a variety of vegetables, pasta, potatoes or even rice.
This family-friendly, budget-friendly dish is great for lunch, yet hearty enough for weeknight dinners. Serve with fresh buns and a great salad like my Avocado Citrus Salad. I like adding fresh spinach or whatever vegetables I have on hand. Even frozen vegetables work well in this soup. Easy Hamburger soup has a bit of a kick to it which you can adjust to your family's taste buds by adding more or less red pepper chili flakes.
What I love about this recipe is that it comes together with simple ingredients that I usually have on hand. You can't beat a great homemade soup and another favorite of mine is this 5-star recipe for Hearty Tortellini Soup. Hamburger Soup is healthy, hearty and the ultimate comfort food. Double the recipe as this soup is great reheated and freezes very well.
Tips for making the best Hamburger Soup:
- Get a nice sear on the hamburger. It creates those great browned bits that stick to the bottom of the pan. After you deglaze the pan with the tomatoes it adds extra flavor to the soup.
- Don't overcook the carrots and celery or they will be mushy.
- Beef broth can vary significantly in saltiness so be sure to taste test before adding salt.
- I use lean ground beef to keep the soup low-fat. In addition, I skim off any fat after the soup is done cooking before serving.
- If you choose to add pasta or rice, cook separately and add before serving. This will avoid having mushy pasta or rice.
Easy Hamburger Soup
- 1 ½ lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes do not drain
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ - ½ tsp chili pepper flakes
- ½ - 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- In large skillet add ground beef, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Saute until ground beef is browned and onions are translucent. Transfer to large cooking pot.
- In same skillet heat olive oil. Add carrots and celery and saute until tender (not too soft. Transfer to pot.
- Add tomatoes to skillet to deglaze. The browned bits add great flavour to the soup!
- Stir in beef broth, oregano, basil, thyme and chili pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil, then transfer to pot and combine with hamburger and vegetables.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30- 40 minutes.
If you enjoy this recipe, please remember to come back to rate it 5 stars. That helps others find it and I very much appreciate it.
Some more soup recipes you'll love!