Hearty Tortellini Soup is loaded with vegetables, ground beef, Italian sausage and tortellini simmered in a savory tomato beef stock.
Pure comfort food! This recipe for Hearty Tortellini Soup is one of my family's favorite recipes. A soup recipe that is so hearty it is perfect to serve as a main course. So tasty, you will love it with fresh bread and a simple salad. A recipe that can be easily adapted by adding your favourite vegetables. If you prefer a more spicy soup use hot Italian sausage instead of mild.
Hearty Tortellini Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 2 links mild Italian sausage sliced
- 1 can (28oz) tomatoes undrained, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 can (14oz) red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cabbage chopped
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup diced, unpeeled zucchini
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 2 cups cheese filled tortellini fresh or frozen
- 2 cups fresh spinach shredded
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, celery, carrots and garlic. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in ground beef and sausage. Cook until beef is no longer pink.
- Stir in tomatoes, beef stock, kidney beans, cabbage, green beans, zucchini, sugar, basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Stir in red wine, tortellini and spinach.
- Cook uncovered for 20 minutes or until pasta is tender but firm.
- Taste, adjusting seasoning.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with parmesan cheese