This Gingersnap Pie Crust recipe is so quick and easy to make and a tasty alternative to a graham cracker crust. The spicy, ginger flavor makes this a perfect crust for holiday pies, cheesecake, and no bake desserts.
This cookie-bases crust packs a ton of flavor and compliments pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin pies and all those tasty fall desserts. Try it with Sweet Potato pie!
Ready in under 15 minutes, this gingersnap crust uses only 3 ingredients! Simply grind gingersnap cookies into crumbs, add brown sugar and some melted butter. There is no need to add any extra spices as the gingersnaps have all the warm flavors of ginger, cinnamon, and cloves in them.
How to make this gingersnap cookie crust recipe
- Place the cookies into a food processor and pulse until the cookies are broken down into fine crumbs. The crumbs should be about the same consistency as graham crumbs or chocolate cookie crumbs.
- Add the brown sugar and combine.
- Next mix in the melted butter. So easy!
- Using your hands or the bottom of a glass press the crumb mixture into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate or a 10-inch pie pan.
- Preheat oven to 350º F and bake for 5-6 minutes.
What if you do not have a food processor or blender?
Place the cookies into a heavy plastic bag and crush into crumbs with a rolling pin.
What kind of gingersnap cookies to use?
For this recipe I recommend store bought gingersnaps. They are crisp and crunchy and grind into crumbs much better than homemade gingersnaps. Homemade gingersnap cookies tend to be too soft and buttery and don't work well in this recipe.
This post was originally published October 23, 2015. Occasionally I update with fresh tips, content and photos. Current update November 1, 2023.
Gingersnap Pie Crust
- 1 box gingersnap cookies (10 oz/300 g before ground) approximately 30-40 cookies
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Using a food processor on pulse mode, grind the gingersnaps into fine crumbs.
- Add in the brown sugar and combine.
- Add the melted butter and blend until the crumb mixture is fully combined.
- Press firmly into sides and bottom of 9 inch deep dish pie dish or 10-inch pie dish.
- Bake at 350º F for 5-6 minutes.