Beautifully decorated Easter Cookies are a tasty vanilla bean sugar cookie that is decorated with royal icing.
I enjoy baking and decorating sugar cookies for special occasions. I have a wonderful collection of cookies cutters and my collection is continually growing. These flower and butterfly cookies are perfect for a spring or Easter treat. This sugar cookie recipe I flavoured with fresh vanilla bean. A great sugar cookie recipe that makes cookies which cut out perfectly with great edges. I then decorated these cookies with Royal Icing. Check out my easy to follow step by step instructions for Decorating cookies with Royal Icing.
- 1 ½ cups butter room temperature
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean opened and seeds scraped out
- 2 eggs + 1 extra yolk
- 3 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Sift together flour and salt.
- Using an electric mixer beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla bean, mix well then add eggs. Beat to combine.
- Slowly add the flour mix until the dough is smooth. Don't overwork dough.
- Separate the dough and wrap it in 3 separate pieces. Place in the refrigerator and chill for at least one hour.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375º F, line several cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove one disk at a time. Flour a work surface and roll the disk out to ⅛ to ¼ inch thick. Dust cookie cutter with flour and cut into desired shapes.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes. (edges just starting to brown)
- Cool completely on the cookie sheets before moving.
- Decorate with Royal Icing