This flavorful ham recipe is slow cooked to perfection in a savory broth of beer, maple syrup, cloves and dijon mustard. Slow Cooker Maple and Beer Braised Ham is a great entree for your holiday meal, yet it is so easy to make you will want to prepare it for everyday dinners.
I love using my slow cooker to make the perfect, tender and juicy ham. Cooking ham in the slow cooker is so convenient for saving oven space when preparing a big Holiday meal. This easy recipe takes just 5 minutes of prep time, and then let your slow cooker do its magic for the next 6-7 hours!
A slow cooker ham recipe that is so delicious with the subtle hints of flavor from maple syrup, beer, cloves and dijon mustard!
I always make Holiday ham for Easter dinner, Christmas or Thanksgiving, but it is so easy to make don't just save this recipe for special occasions. I like to make a big ham just to have leftovers for sandwiches, casseroles, and my super popular Ham and Bean Soup!
What kind of ham to buy?
- When buying ham I always choose a bone-in ham as large as will fit into my slow cooker.
- Buying the right ham can be confusing. There are boneless hams, bone-in, cured, uncured, smoked, shank, spiral ham, and the list goes on! Fully cooked ham is commonly found in your grocery store, but you can also buy cured ham that is not fully cooked. Read your package label to know what kind of ham and the guidelines for recommended cooked temperature.
- I always choose a bone-in cured ham that is fully cooked. I find it to be the most tender and juicy ham. A bone-in ham tends to be moister and has a rich flavor that comes from the bone. The leftovers are perfect for making soup. The meat can be cut into cubes, unlike slices of spiral-cut ham. This ham is fully cooked when the internal temperature is 145ºF.
- Green Bean Casserole - a great side dish to ham and always popular for Holiday dinners
- Potatoes with Creamy Dill sauce - one of my favorite potato recipes.
- Bacon Kale Potato Salad - this is a side dish I make when cooking a ham for an everyday dinner.
- Best Ever Brussels Sprouts - crispy and oven baked.
I was asked by Ricardo Cuisine to sample one of Ricardo's spring recipes. Ricardo Larrivee is one of my favorite Canadian chefs and Slow Cooker Maple and Beer Braised Ham is one of his exceptional recipes!
This post was originally published March 30, 2015. Occasionally I update with fresh tips, contents, and photos. Current update April 1, 2023.
Slow Cooker Maple and Beer Braised Ham
- 7 pound ham
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 bottle pale ale beer 12 ounce
- ¾ cup pure maple syrup
- 4 whole cloves
- Remove packaging and mesh cloth from the ham. Place it bone side down in the slow cooker.
- In a large bowl combine whole cloves, 1 tablespoon of the Dijon mustard, beer, maple syrup and 2 cups water.
- Pour broth over the ham, adding more water if needed so that the liquid is a couple of inches from the rim of the slow cooker.
- Spread the remaining tablespoon of mustard on top of the ham.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until ham reaches an internal temperature of 145º F. Turn the ham halfway through cooking.