Panna Cotta is a delicious molded dessert and this recipe for SunGold Kiwi Panna Cotta is exceptionally rich and creamy. The perfect blend of creamy paired with the zesty flavor of Kiwi fruit in one sweet spoonful.
My recipe for SunGold Kiwi Panna Cotta starts with a traditional Italian recipe for the Panna Cotta. Panna Cotta is a popular Italian dessert of sweetened cream thickened with gelatin. It is often served with liqueurs, a coulis of berries, caramel or chocolate sauce. Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit is perfect for making a coulis. The refreshing, zesty flavour balances perfectly with the rich creamy Panna Cotta.
Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit is sweeter than a green kiwifruit and tastes like a cross between a mango and a strawberry. A perfect, easy to eat fruit any time, just "Cut & Scoop"! I love dicing up Kiwi and tossing it in salad. Did you know that one kiwifruit provides all your daily vitamin C needs and two kiwifruit contain about the same amount of fibre as a bowl of bran flakes! This nutrient-rich fruit is high in antioxidants, minerals and is a natural source of potassium.
I have tried many versions of Panna Cotta, some that use milk or yogurt, but my favourite is this simple recipe that comes together in less than 10 minutes. When making this recipe; be sure Panna Cotta has set completely before adding the cooled kiwi coulis ( minimum of 6 hours). The Kiwi coulis is so easy to make, just diced SunGold Kiwi that is cooked with a bit of sugar, water and some cornstarch to thicken.
SunGold Kiwi Panna Cotta
- For the Panna Cotta
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 envelope gelatin powder
- 3 tbsp cold water
- For the Kiwifruit coulis
- 5-6 SunGold kiwifruit diced
- 1-2 tbsp sugar sweeten to your liking and tartness of kiwi
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ⅓ cup water
- *additional kiwi sliced for decorating.
- To make Panna Cotta:
- In small bowl sprinkle gelatin over 3 Tbsp. cold water. Let sit about 5 minutes to soften.
- In saucepan heat cream and sugar just until simmers. (do not boil)
- Remove from heat and stir softened gelatin into the warm cream mixture.
- Stir in vanilla and continue to stir for about a minute until the gelatin is completely mixed in.
- Pour through fine sieve into clean bowl. (I like to use large measuring cup with spout for easy pouring into ramekins.
- Divide equally into 8 small glass containers or ramekins.
- Cover containers with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- To prepare the coulis:
- Peel kiwifruit and dice into small pieces.
- Place in medium saucepan. Stir in sugar.
- In small bowl mix together cornstarch and water.
- Stir into kiwifruit and cook medium high heat until mixture bubbles and thickens.
- Cool completely, then spoon over set panna cotta
*Thanks to Zespri Kiwifruit for sponsoring this post, as always opinions express are my own. Thank you for supporting companies that allow me to create great content for Art and the Kitchen.