Pumpkin Bread Pudding is a fantastic Holiday dessert that combine the flavors of pumpkin pie and bread pudding in one delicious bite.
I love classic old-fashioned bread pudding, but adding pumpkin turns it into a great dessert to serve for Thanksgiving. You can even add apples and top with a caramel sauce like I did with my recipe for Apple Bread Pudding.
I prepared a simple brown sugar sauce (brown butter sauce), but a caramel sauce or creamy bourbon sauce would also taste great for topping.
Ingredients you need for this recipe.
- Pure pumpkin puree. Can you use pumpkin pie filling instead of pumpkin puree? I prefer pure pumpkin puree as it is just pure pumpkin, while pumpkin pie filling is sweetened and has spices already added. So if using this you will have to adjust the sugar and spices.
- Half and half cream. This is cream that is half whole milk and half cream. 10-12 percent fat.
- Challah bread. Brioche or french bread will also work great. Just make sure it is day-old bread. Fresh bread is too soft and will become soggy in the custard.
- Sugar. Both white and brown sugar is used in this recipe.
- Homemade pumpkin spice that combines cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Butter. Salted or unsalted, I have never found it made much difference.
- Heavy cream for the Brown Butter Sauce.
How to make Pumpkin Bread Pudding
Generously butter the baking pan. I used a bundt cake pan but a 9x9 square baking pan will work as well.
Toss together the half and half cream with the cubed bread.
Combine the pumpkin, eggs, sugars, melted butter, spices and vanilla.
Pour the pumpkin mixture over the bread and cream mixture. Fold together and then pour into the prepared baking pan.
Bake for 45 0 60 minutes.
Let cool for about 15 minutes, serve with Brown Sugar Sauce
Pumpkin Bread Pudding
- 6 cups Challah bread cut into cubes
- 2 cups half and half cream
- 3 large eggs
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 1 can (15oz) pumpkin puree
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Brown Sugar Sauce
- 1 ¼ cups brown sugar packed
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Grease a bundt pan or 9x9 square pan with butter. Heat the oven to 350º F.
- Using a large bowl toss together the cubed bread and half and half cream. Set aside.
- Combine together the pumpkin, eggs, white and brown sugar, melted butter, spices and vanilla.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture over the soaked bread and fold together until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake 45-60 minutes.
- Let sit for 15 minutes. Serve warm with the Brown Sugar Sauce.
Brown Sugar Sauce
- In a medium pot melt the butter and brown sugar over medium heat. Stir constantly.
- Bring to a slow boil, continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and whisk the cream into the sugar mix a bit at a time. Whisk until smooth.
- Serve warm over bread pudding.