I am excited to be working with Alberta Pulse Growers who have sponsored this post.
Black Bean Coconut Rice Salad is a perfect side dish for Picnic and BBQ Season! Nutritious and so delicious!
Black Bean Coconut Rice Salad is a colourful salad that is incredibly flavourful and healthy! The delicious black beans I added to this salad are an excellent source of protein, low in fat and high in fibre. Black beans are one of the many varieties of pulses grown in Alberta. Alberta Pulse Growers supports over 6,000 Alberta farmers who grow pulses. So what exactly are “Pulses”? Pulses include dry peas, beans, lentils and chickpeas. Check out Alberta Pulse Growers website for a complete list of Pulse varieties and some really awesome recipes. Adding pulses is a delicious and healthy way to perk up any salad. Pulses are a great choice for vegetarian, vegan and gluten free diets.
Black Bean Coconut Rice Salad starts with making the perfect coconut rice. After some extensive testing I’ve come up with a coconut rice recipe that is the perfect consistency and flavour for salad. Most coconut rice recipes I tried didn’t seem to achieve a real good coconut flavour. Replacing regular water with coconut water did the trick and I must say my recipe makes the tastiest coconut rice ever! The combination of coconut rice, black beans, pineapple, red bell pepper, onions, jalapeño pepper and cilantro pack some serious flavour!
I used canned black beans in this recipe, but chickpeas, red beans or pinto bean would taste great as well. You can even start with dry beans. Alberta Pulse Growers has instructions to prepare and use dry pulses in recipes. Check it out “Eating Pulses“. Fresh ripe pineapple is also something I would recommend using in this recipe, although in a pinch canned would work.
Black Bean Coconut Rice Salad is perfect to bring to potluck dinners and backyard BBQ’s.
Black Bean Coconut Rice Salad
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice
- 1 can (400ml/14 oz) coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 can (540ml/19oz) black beans rinsed
- 1 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp red onion chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple cubed
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chives or green onion
- 1 lime 3 tbsp
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup pureed pineapple
- 2 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 2 tbsp jalapeño pepper finely chopped
- Rinse rice in cold water until water is no longer cloudy.
- Transfer rice to cooking pot, add coconut milk, coconut water and 1/4 tsp. salt. Stir well.
- Bring rice to full boil, turn heat down to lowest setting. Place lid on pot and simmer on lowest heat for 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let rest leaving lid on for an additional 15 minutes.
- Transfer to extra large bowl, fluff with fork and let cool. Fluff with fork occasionally until completely cooled.
- While rice is cooking prepare beans and vegetables as well as dressing.
- For Dressing
- In jar combine together, lime juice, olive oil, grated ginger, pineapple puree, jalapeño pepper, 2 tbsp. red onion finely chopped and 1/4 cup chopped cilantro.
- Place lid on jar and shake to blend all ingredients together.
- When rice is cooled, toss in the black beans, pineapple, red bell pepper, 1 cup red onion, 1/2 cup cilantro and chives.
- Add dressing and toss together until blended.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Check out some of these other great recipes using “Pulses”. Nutritious and delicious, pulses are good for you and your health!