Homemade Chicken burgers are a great alternative to beef. These chicken burgers are lean, tender and moist. Perfect for the grill, pan fried or baked in the oven.
This recipe is from my husband's cousin Kim. We enjoyed some great grilled chicken burgers when we visited a while ago in Winnipeg. We don't get together that often, but when we do all the secret childhood/teenage stories come out and we laugh until our bellies hurt.
I added a few things to Kim's original recipe. In addition to using ground chicken I added small cut up chunks of chicken, this gave the burgers a great texture. For this recipe I used dark chicken meat, but chicken breasts will also work but may be slightly drier. These grilled up nicely on the BBQ, just be sure to spray the grill with cooking spray so the burgers don't stick. Keep it lean, or serve up with some melted cheese and top with your favourite burger toppings such as tomatoes, lettuce, peppers, pickles etc.
I like to make burgers ahead of time and store in my convenient Shape+Store Burger Master to form perfect burger shapes. These burgers also freeze very well so double the batch and keep some on hand in the freezer.
Homemade Chicken Burgers
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ½ lb chicken chopped into small pieces raw, white or dark pieces
- ½ cup red onion diced
- ½ cup zucchini diced
- ½ cup mix of red yellow and orange bell peppers
- 2 tablespoon fresh chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg whisk slightly with fork
- In large bowl combine together ground chicken and chopped chicken.
- Add red onion, zucchini, peppers and chives.
- Add panko breadcrumbs, salt and pepper.
- Add egg and combine together. Do not overwork mixture.
- Form into patties.
- Oil grill with cooking spray or oil to prevent burgers from sticking.
- Grill medium heat approximately 6- 7 minutes per side or until internal temperature 170º
My Homemade Jack Daniel's BBQ Sauce tastes great on these chicken burgers!