Homemade Chicken Enchiladas are a delicious way to feed the family. This ever-popular Mexican dish that starts with homemade Enchilada sauce!
I've been on a bit of a Mexican food kick since coming back from a great trip to Colima, Mexico. My recipe for Chicken Enchiladas is bursting with flavour starting with my Homemade Enchilada Sauce. These easy to make enchiladas are cheesy, have just the right amount of spice and will have your family begging you to make them more often.
We were going to visit our son who is away at University, so I froze the leftovers for him. He simply heated them up in the microwave and enjoyed a great home cooked meal. It made my day when he phoned to rave about how good they were. Of course he had to do this with his mouth full of enchilada. Really, I thought I had taught him better manners than that. Now that I know how great this recipe freezes, I will be sure to double it next time.
My homemade Enchilada Sauce is exceptional, but if you like, your favourite canned sauce will work. I also roasted my own chicken, but store bought cooked rotisserie chicken works great as well. Adapt this recipe to your own desired heat level by adding more or less jalapeño pepper or even adding some hot sauce. Like it super cheesy, no problem add some more cheese. Like it saucier, be sure to double my Homemade Enchilada Sauce recipe!
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 1 pound cooked chicken shredded
- ½ cup onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup jalapeño peppers finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 2 ½ cups Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- hot sauce optional
- garnish with fresh avocado,fresh tomatoes, green onions, peppers
- Preheat oven to 350º
- In large skillet saute onions until soft and browned.
- Add chopped jalapeño pepper and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Blend together all the shredded cheese.
- Shred cooked chicken and place in large bowl.
- Stir in onions and jalapeño pepper.
- Toss ½ of cheese mixture with chicken.
- Stir in ½ cup Enchilada sauce.
- Spread ½ cup enchilada sauce bottom of 9x13 baking pan.
- Lay out tortillas and fill with chicken mixture, dividing mixture equally.
- Roll tortillas and place tortillas seam side down in baking pan.
- Spread remaining Enchilada sauce over tortillas.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes until bubbly.
- Garnish as desired with fresh avocado, green onion, chopped tomatoes, peppers