It is so easy to make your own Homemade Enchilada Sauce! This tasty recipe can be made in under 30 minutes and is perfect for all your Mexican dishes.
I recently returned home from a wonderful humanitarian trip to Mexico. We helped some in need families build brick walls and cement floors for their homes. Working along side some very dear friends digging trenches, building walls, hauling cement etc. was such a life-changing, rewarding experience. A trip such as this really gives one a reality check of what is important in life. The amazing people we helped have so little, work so hard just to get by, have a smile on their face, and never complain. I hope I think twice now before I complain about not enough cupboard space or needing the latest gadget to make life easier.
One the many things I love about Mexico is the food! I enjoyed some great authentic Mexican dishes and ate a ton of guacamole. So with some new inspiration from my trip I got back into my kitchen and cooked up my own version of Homemade Enchilada Sauce.
The great thing about making your own enchilada sauce is that you can spice it up just the way you like. My husband likes a lot of heat, I like things pretty mild so I of course cooked what I like and my sauce is a more mild recipe. Add extra peppers, chili powder or even hot sauce if you like more heat. My recipe is a bit thicker, but simply add some water if you like it a thinner consistency.
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1/2 cup Poblano peppers finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chill powder
- 1 can (680ml/24oz) tomato sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- In large skillet saute onion until soft and browned. (about 5 minutes)
- Add garlic and Poblano peppers. Cook additional 2 minutes
- Stir in oregano, cumin, chili powder.
- Mix in tomato sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper. (taste before adding salt as some tomato sauces are saltier)
- simmer for 15-20 minutes
- serve over enchiladas, casseroles or meat dishes.