This recipe for Spinach Sausage Pasta makes a great family meal that you can prepare in under 30 minutes.
I used an all beef smoked sausage for this recipe. You can use any type of lean sausage including turkey sausage. The sauce is rich and creamy, perfect for topping your favourite pasta.
Spinach Sausage Pasta
A hearty sauce that is rich and creamy, perfect for topping your favourite pasta.
- 14 oz smoked sausage sliced into pieces
- ¾ cup onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 10 oz pasta
- salt and pepper
- In large skillet cook sausage until done and browned. Remove from skillet and keep warm.
- In same skillet add onions and cook until translucent. If there is not enough fat from sausage add a bit of olive oil.
- Add garlic and cook for additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth, scraping those delicious bits off bottom of pan.
- Add tomatoes and heavy cream.
- Add sausage into sauce and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper. (I didn't need to use any salt as sausage was salty enough)
- Heat until sauce comes to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions.
- Once sauce has simmered for about 20 minutes stir in parmesan cheese.
- Add spinach and stir until cooked and wilted,
- serve over pasta
Tried this recipe?Mention @ArtAndTheKitchen or tag #ArtAndTheKitchen!
How about chorizo? I know it's not very lean...
I think chorizo would taste great, some nice spicy flavour.
nicole @ I am a Honey Bee
I seriosuly need to make this. And not just need to make it, like how people say it but don't mean it . But I really do mean it!!
thanks Nicole, hope you enjoy the recipe.
Spinach Sausage Pasta
My family loves this dish. When I made it, it didn't have an orange color like your picture. Did I do something wrong?
Hi Cathy, the colouring could vary depending on the tomatoes, the sausage or even the photo and how it displays on your computer. As long as it tasted good that's all that really counts. (if I had to guess I would think different varieties of tomatoes would be most likely cause)
This is incredibly delicious! I used ground sausage and Asiago cheese instead...also added my noodles right to the dish. Absolutely loved it and will certainly be making this again!
Briana, ground sausage and Asiago cheese would be very tasty. So glad you enjoyed the recipe.
Can I use whole milk instead of heavy cream? I don’t have any heavy cream
Yes whole milk will work but you may have to thicken sauce a bit with a flour or cornstarch slurry.
I’m currently making this and I used a can of chicken broth instead of 1 cup oops hope it still turns out well
Hi Cree, I hope the recipe turned out for you!
Easy and fairly fast. Flavors are dictated by the type of sausage used. I added a smidge of kick with red pepper flakes. Would simmer it longer for a thicker sauce. A bit too runny/ soupy. But easily adjustable.
A nice option to have for sausage.