Packed with flavour this Homemade Marinara Sauce is easy to prepare, tastes delicious and so much better than store bought.
Marinara sauce is a classic Italian sauce using simple ingredients, tomatoes, onion, garlic and herbs. A good marinara is all about simplicity starting with good quality tomatoes such as San Marzano. I used canned tomatoes in this recipe but really ripe fresh will work as well. This time of year fresh ripe tomatoes that taste great are hard to come by in Alberta. This recipe was perfect for my Chicken Parmesan.
Making your own homemade marinara sauce allows you to decide your personal preference of chunky or smooth. I prefer a chunkier sauce, but if you like yours smoother use an immersion blender to achieve the desired consistency.
Homemade Marinara Sauce
- 1 can (28oz) tomatoes with juice
- 2 large cloves garlic finely mined
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- salt to taste depends on how salty tomatoes are
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- In large skillet heat olive oil, sauté onions and garlic until soft.
- Add tomatoes, oregano and basil and pepper.
- Stir in sugar. (the sugar balances the acidity)
- Season with salt.
- Simmer until sauce reduces and thickens (about 30 minutes).
Enjoy this recipe for Chicken Parmesan topped with this delicious marinara sauce recipe.