Chicken Parmesan is one of those classic recipes everyone loves that is so simple to prepare. Whats not to love about breaded crisp chicken cutlets, rich marinara sauce and melted cheese!
If you want to add some exceptional flavour to this recipe be sure to cook up a batch of my Homemade Marinara Sauce, so much tastier than store bought tomato sauce.
The key to great tasting chicken parmesan is to fry the chicken until it is golden and crisp yet moist inside. I pound my chicken breasts down to about ¼ inch thickness and pan fry until done. If you prefer thicker chicken, skip the pounding, pan fry until golden brown then transfer to a baking sheet and finish cooking in the oven. This will avoid over-browning or burning the coating.
- 4 chicken breasts skin removed
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce or your favourite tomato sauce
- fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400º F
- Pound chicken to 1/4-1/2 inch thickness.
- Place flour in shallow dish. (pie plates work perfect for this)
- Mix together panko bread crumbs, parmesan, spices, salt and pepper, place in 2nd shallow dish.
- In 3rd shallow dish, mix together egg and milk.
- Dredge chicken in flour, shake off excess.
- Next, place in egg mix, then coat with parmeson bread crumb mix, pressing chicken into mixture to ensure a good coating.
- Heat olive oil in heavy skillet, medium high heat.
- Fry chicken until golden brown and done, about 4 minutes per side.
- Place sliced mozzarella on top of chicken, top with a dollop of warm marinara sauce, garnish with fresh basil.
- Bake in oven until cheese is melted.
Link to recipe for Homemade Marinara Sauce