Turkey Meatballs in Creamy Dairy Free Sauce starts with the best turkey meatballs I ever made, they are then slathered in a rich creamy dairy free sauce.
This post is sponsored by Almond Breeze. I love working with great companies like Almond Breeze and was compensated for this post. As always the opinions expressed are my own!
This outstanding recipe for Turkey Meatballs in Dairy Free Cream Sauce is not only incredibly tasty, it is healthy! Made with low fat ground turkey and a creamy low calorie sauce. Instead of cream I used Almond Breeze Beverage, the refrigerated unsweetened original version. Only 30 calories per cup and you will be amazed at how creamy the sauce is..
This sauce is a robust combination of flavours including sun-dried tomatoes, basil and those delicious browned bits from the pan after searing the meatballs. I always assumed cream was required to get a creamy type of sauce that tasted good. Wrong I was, this sauce is super creamy tasting using Almond Breeze beverage. There was no compromise of flavour!
I love using ground turkey in recipes and this meatball recipe is one you are going to want to keep handy for all your meatball dishes. My secret ingredient – a hint of lemon. A bit of lemon zest combined with garlic and onions adds such a great dept of flavour to these moist and tender turkey meatballs.
Turkey Meatballs in Creamy Dairy Free Sauce
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic finely minced about 2 cloves
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp Almond Breeze unsweetened Original Refrigerated
- 1 tsp grated fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp koscher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped do not use stems
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup Almond Breeze unsweetened Original Refrigerated
- 1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes chopped
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º
- In small bowl combine together panko bread crumbs and 2 tbsp Almond Breeze.
- In large skillet heat 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sauté onions until soft, about 3 minutes, add garlic and sauté for additional couple of minutes. Be sure not to burn the garlic or it will taste bitter.
- In large bowl combine together ground turkey and bread crumbs.
- Add sautéd onions and garlic
- Add parsley, lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- Roll into meatballs slightly smaller than a golf ball, should make about 16 meatballs.
- In same skillet you used to sauté onions and garlic, heat a bit more olive oil if necessary.
- Add meatballs browning on all sides, carefully turning meatballs so they don’t break apart.
- When all side have been seared, transfer to baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking oil. Bake until done (165º F) in 350 degree oven. (mine took about 13 minutes)
- While meatballs finish cooking in oven prepare sauce.
- After removing meatballs from skillet, add 1 cup chicken broth. Heat until boiling, be sure to scrape all those flavourful bits off bottom of pan.
- Reduce to medium heat and add 1 cup Almond Breeze.
- Stir in sun dried tomatoes and dried basil.
- Season with salt and pepper
- To thicken sauce, in small bowl stir together 1 tbsp flour and 2 tbsp chicken broth until smooth. While constantly stirring add to sauce to thicken.
- When meatballs are done add them to the sauce.
- Simmer on low heat for an additional 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally to coat all the meatballs with sauce.
- Serve with side dish of your choice, I like broad noodles.