Lemon Herb Chicken Kabobs tantalize your taste buds with zesty lemon, fragrant fresh herbs and garlic. A healthy grilled chicken recipe with a Mediterranean-inspired marinade.
The lemon herb marinade transforms ordinary chicken into a tender chicken that is bursting with flavor! But don't just save this marinade for chicken, it tastes great for making pork kabobs, shrimp kabobs and salmon kabobs! Serve with Homemade Tzatziki Sauce and Watermelon Mint Salad for a meal that is perfect for summertime barbecues!
What you will need to make the kabobs.
The marinade is all about fragrant, fresh and aromatic flavor, so fresh lemon and herbs are the secret to making the best ever Lemon Herb Chicken Kabobs!
- Chicken - I use skinless chicken breasts, but skinless chicken thighs would also work.
- Lemons - thin slices for the skewers and freshly squeezed lemon juice for the marinade.
- Red Onion - chunks for the skewers and finely minced for the marinade.
- Garlic - finely minced
- Thyme- 2-3 fresh sprigs
- Rosemary 2 fresh sprigs
- Olive oil
- Chives - chopped
- Salt and Pepper
Place the chicken and marinade in a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours, turning occasionally. (A large freezer bag also works well)
Ideally the chicken should marinate at least 1-2 hours, but longer is great, as the chicken with soak up all that extra flavor. Marinating overnight also works.
Yes, simply marinade chicken breasts, thighs, or drumsticks and the grill.
Yes, this recipe also works well in the oven. Bake 350º F until internal temperature reaches 165ºF
Optional vegetables to add to kabobs.
- Bell peppers - yellow, orange or red peppers add a colorful presentation and delicious taste.
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Zucchine wedges
This post was originally published on May 26, 2016. I occasionally update with fresh tips, content, and photos. Current update June 27, 2023.
Lemon Herb Chicken Kebabs
For the marinade
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- ½ cup red onion finely diced
- 3 tablespoons chives chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
for the kabobs
- 2 chicken breasts
- 8 slices fresh lemon
- ½ red onion cut into bite sized pieces
- In a large bowl or freezer bag stir together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, thyme, rosemary, red onion, chives, salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken breasts, toss to coat, cover and refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours, turning occasionally.
To make the Kabobs
- Cut the marinated chicken into bite-sized pieces. Place onto wooden or metal skewers alternating with lemon slices and chunks of red onion. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes before grilling.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill about 5-6 minutes per side. The chicken should be cooked through and have a charred, caramelized sear.