Great tasting Coconut Sugar Cookies that bake up with crisp edges and a soft center. The shredded coconut gives these cookies a great chewy texture.
This easy cookie recipe tastes great plain, but if you like, drizzle chocolate over them or add some frosting on top! If you are looking for a sugar cookie recipe that is great for making cut out cookies, then try my Best Ever Sugar Cookie recipe.
Ingredients for making these cookies.
Flour - just plain all purpose flour. Do not sift before measuring, just scoop out of the container and level off.
Baking Powder - Adding baking powder to cookies results in a cookie that is soft and thick.
Coconut - I use sweetened shredded coconut. Unsweetened will also work, the cookies will just not be as sweet. The coconut adds to the great chewy texture of these sugar cookies.
Salt - A bit of salt accentuates the flavor of baked goods. Table salt or fine grain Kosher salt is what I use in my cookie recipes.
Sugar - plain white granulated sugar is what is used in this recipe.
Butter - Butter adds significant flavor to baked goods. Unsalted butter works best for baking as it ensures that you control the amount of salt added to a recipe. Different companies add various amounts of salt to their butter. One thing I never use margarine instead of butter!
Eggs - This recipe calls for 3 eggs which helps create a chewier, fluffier cookie.
Vanilla - Pure vanilla extract is what I usually use in my recipes. I do love baking with vanilla beans, but they are very expensive and hard to find. I never use imitation vanilla extract.
How to make these scrumptious sugar cookies that are soft and chewy with buttery coconut flavor.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and coconut in medium sized bowl. I like to use a whisk to ensure dry ingredients are well combined. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy using an electric mixer or stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Add eggs and vanilla, mixing until well combined.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture until combined. Do not over-mix or cookies will be flatter and crispier.
- Use a cookie scoop to make evenly sized cookies. I use a medium 2 tablespoon scoop. Space cookies about 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly with a fork.
- Bake 375 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes. They will be done when the edges are golden and the tops do not look wet.
- Cool on wire baking rack.
Coconut Sugar Cookies
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ cup shredded coconut
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In medium sized bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, coconut and salt.
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, using an electric or stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add flour mixture, a bit at a time, and mix until combined. Do not overmix.
- Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, scoop dough onto baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly with a fork.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until edges are nicely browned.