The addition of coconut to these fancy Molasses Cookies make them extra chewy inside, yet crisp on the outside!
Fancy Molasses Coconut Cookies are so flavourful with the bold flavors of ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. The key ingredient to this rich, distinctive cookie is the molasses. This keeps the cookies chewy on the inside and loaded with scrumptious flavor! I prefer the taste of fancy molasses, but any type of molasses will work in this recipe.
I recently purchased a very large bag of shredded coconut and to help me use up all that coconut I started adding it to just about everything. Coconut gave an old fashioned molasses cookie recipe a tasty twist. It is delicious with the molasses and adds even more chew to the cookies.
When you are looking for Holiday cookie recipes, be sure to include this one. They will be a huge hit!
What makes these Molasses Cookies so good?
- The coconut adds an extra chewier texture to the cookies.
- The combination of spices, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon combined with molasses gives these cookies a bold, robust flavor.
- I use fancy molasses in this recipe. I prefer the lighter flavor over cooking molasses or blackstrap molasses.
- Use butter instead of shortening in this recipe. Butter tastes so much better!
- These cookies bake up with crisp, crackly tops.
How to make Molasses Cookies
When making cookies always have your oven preheated. For this recipe the oven is preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Parchment paper is a must-have for baking cookies. It helps prevent sticking, the cookies bake more evenly, and it makes for easy cleanup.
I use a whisk to thoroughly combine the dry ingredients of flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, salt and coconut.
Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy using an electric mixer with the paddle attachment.
Add the egg and molasses.
Next add the dry ingredients and mix until fully combined, but do not over-mix .
Drop a heaping teaspoon of dough onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Space about 2 inches apart as these cookies will spread.
Bake for 13 to 15 minutes. Cool for 4 to 5 minutes before removing from the baking pan.
This post was originally published on April 30, 2014. Occasionally I update with fresh tips, content, and photos. Current update Feb 13, 2021.
Fancy Molasses Coconut Cookies
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup molasses I use fancy molasses
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, salt, and coconut in a separate bowl. I use a whisk to thoroughly combine the dry ingredients.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment cream together the butter and sugar. This will take 2-3 minutes.
- Add egg and combine well.
- Blend in the molasses.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix just until the dough comes together.
- Drop a heaping teaspoon of dough onto the cookie sheet. Space well as the dough will spread.
- Bake 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 13-15 minutes.
- Cool for 4-5 minutes before removing from baking sheet.