Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies with chocolate spread are amazing tasting cookies that are crisp outside and soft inside. They are a perfect combination of chocolate and peanut butter.
These are the BEST peanut butter thumbprint cookies I have ever baked. I’m serious! Just so I wouldn’t eat them all, my husband had to take the cookies to work. They were a huge hit! This cookie recipe uses a sugar coating, which keeps the outside crisp and the inside soft. I top each cookie is topped with a delicious burst of flavor from Reese peanut butter chocolate spread. A whipped chocolate ganache, Nutella, or a dollop of jam would taste great as well.
If you prefer a plain, soft peanut butter cookie, simply bake and do not press the middle down. These classic peanut butter cookies are sure to become a go-to favorite. Are you a peanut butter lover? Then you will also want to try my Peanut Butter Fudge.
How to Make Peanut Butter Cookies
Mix together the dry ingredients. I find a whisk works great for this.
Beat together the butter, peanut butter, brown, and granulated sugar until creamy. I use a standing mixer, but a hand mixer will work as well.
Add the milk, egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
Turn mixer to low speed and add the dry ingredients. Mix only until combined. Do not over-mix.
Shape into balls using the palm of your hands.
Roll in granulated sugar and place on parchment-lined baking sheet.
Do not press the cookies down before baking.
Bake for 10-12 minutes until edges just start to brown.
Remove from oven and while the cookies are still warm, press a small circle in the middle. I use a bottle cap to do this.
Let cool, then pipe center with chocolate spread, ganache, or a dollop of jam.
Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup Reese peanut butter chocolate spread jam, nutella, or chocolate ganache also tastes great
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar for rolling dough balls in
- Mix together flour, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In large mixing bowl on medium speed beat together butter, peanut butter, brown and granulated sugar.
- Add milk, egg and vanilla until well combined.
- On low speed, add flour mix and combine until blended.
- Shape into small balls (about 2 tbsp. each)
- Roll in sugar and place on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Do not press down.
- Bake at 375º for 10-12 minutes
- Remove from oven and while still warm press small circle in centre. I used end of cap of vanilla bottle to do this.
- Cool completely, then pipe the centre with chocolate spread.
- I piped the spread in centre using no. 2D decorating tip.