This classic recipe for Country Style Borscht tastes just like the borscht Grandma made. This beet soup is so flavourful and a family favourite soup recipe.
To make delicious Country Style Borscht be sure to start with garden fresh simple ingredients of red beets, cabbage, carrots and potatoes. The Homemade Chicken Stock I used in this recipe made this soup even tastier. You can use store bought, but homemade stock is easy to make and loaded with flavor.
Ukrainian Borscht is considered to be the original recipe for traditional borscht but over the years there have been many adaptations to this delightful beet soup. Some recipes include meat or bone marrow, poultry or even beans. My favourite recipe is meatless prepared with chicken stock and loaded with fresh beets, cabbage, carrots and potatoes. Fresh dill is a must to add sensational flavour to this soup.
Borscht is super healthy and nutritious and this meatless version is so hearty!
Country Style Borscht
- 5 cups red beets cubed
- ½ medium green cabbage shredded
- 1 ½ cups diced carrots
- 3 cups potatoes cubed
- 1 cup onion finely diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 6 tbsp tomato paste
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh dill chopped
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- In large soup pot heat olive oil and butter.
- Add beets, cabbage, carrots, potatoes and onions, sauté until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and chicken stock.
- Add bay leaves.
- Season with salt and pepper. Taste to season as amount of salt used can vary depending on how salty broth is.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add sugar, vinegar and dill.
- Simmer for additional 15 minutes.
- Serve with dollop of sour cream.
If you enjoy this recipe, please remember to come back to rate it and add it to your pinterest boards.