Country Style Borscht is a classic recipe that tastes just like the borscht Grandma used to make. This meatless recipe is one of my favourite soup recipes.
How to make delicious Country Style Borscht that tastes just like Grandma’s recipe – start with garden fresh simple ingredients of red beets, cabbage, carrots and potatoes. I used my Homemade Chicken Stock, which added even more incredible flavour to this soup.
Ukrainian Borscht is considered to be the original recipe for traditional borscht but over the years there have been many adaptations to this delightful beet soup. Some recipes include meat or bone marrow, poultry or even beans. My favourite recipe is meatless prepared with chicken stock and loaded with fresh beets, cabbage, carrots and potatoes. Fresh dill is a must to add sensational flavour to this soup.
Want to make it super healthy, adapt it and eliminate the sugar and use non-fat sour cream.
Country Style Borscht
- 5 cups red beets cubed
- 1/2 medium green cabbage shredded
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 3 cups potatoes cubed
- 1 cup onion finely diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 6 tbsp tomato paste
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh dill chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- In large soup pot heat olive oil and butter.
- Add beets, cabbage, carrots, potatoes and onions, sauté until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and chicken stock.
- Add bay leaves.
- Season with salt and pepper. Taste to season as amount of salt used can vary depending on how salty broth is.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add sugar, vinegar and dill.
- Simmer for additional 15 minutes.
- Serve with dollop of sour cream.