This 5 star recipe for Hot Chocolate Cookies is a chocolate lover’s dream cookie! Everyone will love these fantastic chocolate cookies topped with a toasted marshmallow.
There is nothing better than the smell of cookies baking in the oven. The kids peering through the glass on the oven door, waiting patiently for that first bite of a warm homemade cookie. Nothing beats the taste of fresh homemade cookies and these Hot Chocolate Cookies are sensational.
With this cookie recipe you get a double dose of chocolate with semi-sweet chocolate chips and unsweetened cocoa powder. Hot Chocolate Cookies get even better tasting with the toasted marshmallow on top which adds more great flavour and a super chewy texture.
The Hot Chocolate Cookie dough is quite sticky and must chill for 2 hours before baking. Once it has firmed up you can use your handy cookie scoop to make cookies that are a perfect size. Make sure you let the cookies cool before biting into them as the melted marshmallow is hot and can burn.
Hot Chocolate Cookies
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter
- 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1¼ cups brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 large marshmallows cut in half
- Sift together cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter and the 6 oz of semisweet chocolate chips. Stir constantly until just melted. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, eggs and vanilla. Mix together on medium speed until combined.
- Beat in the cooled chocolate mixture just until combined.
- Add flour/cocoa mixture and blend on low speed just until combined.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop and drop the cookie dough by the tablespoon, onto the prepared cookie sheets.Space them at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake cookies 350º F for 12 minutes.
- Remove cookies from oven and working quickly so cookies don't cool too much, place one half piece of marshmallow on top of each cookie.
- Place the cookies back in the oven and bake an additional 4 minutes. If you want the tops browned a bit more, turn oven onto broil and bake for a few seconds. keep a close eye so they don't burn!
- Let cookies cool at least 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
So grab a big glass of cold milk or brew up a mug of hot chocolate and enjoy these decadent chocolate cookies. This recipe was inspired and adapted from a Fairmont Hotel recipe.
Your support of my blog is greatly appreciated!
Here’s a photo after I took them out of the oven and the marshmallow deflated.