My son recently had an emergency appendectomy and recovery involved moving back home for a couple of weeks to have dear old Mom take care of him. After he got his appetite back it was like non- stop hunger set in and I was was constantly hearing "Mom can you make me something to eat". Now the one thing about cooking that I don't enjoy is deciding what to make. I love when I get requests to make something or try a certain recipe. Just tell me and I'll happily make it. So I sent him on a search through some of the recipes I had collected on Pinterest. This recipe for Capellini D'Angelo Roma is courtesy of Chef Dennis of a Culinary Journey with Chef Dennis.
This exceptional pasta dish has a creamy tomato sauce flavoured with bacon, peas, mushrooms and Romano cheese. A perfect 30 minute meal that is so easy to prepare and one the whole family will love. The only substitution I made from the original recipe was using lean, thick cut bacon instead of prosciutto.
Capellini D'Angelo Roma
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup grated Romano cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 12 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup peas cooked
- 4 oz thick cut bacon or prosciutto cooked
- ½ tsp granulated garlic or 1 clove finely minced fresh garlic
- ½ tsp granulated onion
- 1 lb angel hair pasta (capellini) or spaghettini
- fresh ground pepper
- extra Romano for garnish
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan, sauté mushrooms until golden.
- Add crushed tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes.
- Stir in cream and chicken stock.
- Add Romano cheese, granulated onion and garlic.
- Season with fresh ground pepper.
- Turn heat down and simmer for about 10 minutes until sauce thickens a bit.
- While sauce is simmering, cook pasta.
- When pasta is almost done stir peas and bacon into sauce.
- Drain pasta, stir sauce into pasta.
- Garnish with shredded Romano cheese and fresh ground pepper.