Cookie recipe inspired by my Mom, these John Deere cookies combine some great flavours like maraschino cherries, walnuts and coconut.
This recipe for John Deere Cookies is an old recipe of my Mom’s. I have no idea why they are called John Deere cookies other than the fact that my Dad worked as a mechanic for John Deere. It is a delicious cookie recipe that came from my Mom’s old scribbler. I have enjoyed many of Mom’s favourite recipes that are handwritten with notes of who gave her the recipe.
Making these cookies was a special time with my Mom who had to move into a nursing home 6 months ago due to her progressing dementia/Alzheimer’s. It has been a very difficult time for my family especially my Dad who is still living at home on his own. As heart-breaking as it is to see the challenges my parents are facing it is important to take the time to enjoy special moments. Mom always enjoyed baking, and with 5 kids to feed, her baking was quickly devoured.
Mom looking through the well stained pages of her notebook ” Favourite recipes for cookies and cakes”.
Baking cookies with Mom in the nursing home was a great way to spend the afternoon and I am thankful to the staff at St Mary’s Villa in Humboldt for letting us use the kitchen. I pre-measured all the ingredients at home and placed them in containers to make assembling the cookies easy.
The John Deere cookies are almost ready for the oven! Of course Mom had to try to cookie dough to make sure it was good.
Its been a while since I’ve enjoyed some home baked cookies made by Mom! Now for the final step baking these delicious cookies.
Mission accomplished! Everyone had to come see where that delicious smell was coming from. My Mom is quite proud of her freshly baked cookies that were enjoyed by the staff and other residents.
John Deere Cookies
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup butter room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/2 cup walnuts or any nuts you like
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries drained, pat dry, chopped in pieces
- Preheat oven to 350º and line baking sheet with parchment paper
- Blend together flour, baking soda and salt
- Place butter and sugar in mixing bowl and beat until fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla.
- Mix in 1/2 flour mix and combine well.
- Add milk, combine, then stir in remaining flour mix.
- At this point we had to start hand mixing as our hand mixer wasn't powerful enough to combine.
- Stir in coconut, walnuts and maraschino cherries
- Scoop about 1 heaping tablespoon of dough and form into ball.
- press dough down with fork.
- bake 350º for 10-12 minutes
Another yummy cookie recipe from Mom that was always included in our Christmas cookie baking is Whipped Shortbread Cookies.