Cookie recipe inspired by my Mom, these John Deere cookies combine some great flavours like maraschino cherries, walnuts and coconut.
This recipe for John Deere Cookies is an old recipe of my Mom's. I have no idea why they are called John Deere cookies other than the fact that my Dad worked as a mechanic for John Deere. This is a delicious cookie recipe from my Mom's old scribbler. Over the years, I have enjoyed many of Mom's favourite recipes which are handwritten, with notes of who gave her the recipe. Cecilia was a great baker and her recipes for Chiffon Poppy Seed Cake and Homemade Angel Food cake are exceptional!
Making these cookies was a special time with my Mom. She had to move into a nursing home 6 months ago due to her progressing dementia-Alzheimer's. It has been a very difficult time for my family especially my Dad who is still living at home on his own. As heart-breaking as it is to see the challenges my parents are facing it is important to take the time to enjoy special moments. One my Mom's favorite things to do was bake and with 5 kids to feed, her baking was quickly devoured.
Baking Cookies with Mom
This is a great photo of Mom looking through the well stained pages of her notebook " Favourite recipes for cookies and cakes".
Baking cookies in the nursing home was a great way to spend the afternoon and I am thankful to the staff at St Mary's Villa in Humboldt for letting us use their kitchen. I pre-measured all the ingredients at home and placed them in containers to make assembling the cookies easy.
The John Deere cookies are almost ready for the oven! Of course Mom had to try to cookie dough to make sure it was good.
It has been a while since I have enjoyed some home baked cookies made by Mom! Now for the final step baking these delicious cookies.
Mission accomplished! Everyone had to come see where that delicious smell was coming from. She is quite proud of her freshly baked cookies that were enjoyed by the staff and other residents.
Mom's John Deere Cookies
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ¾ cup butter room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoon milk
- ½ cup walnuts or any nuts you like
- ½ cup maraschino cherries drained, pat dry, chopped in pieces
- Preheat oven to 350º F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Blend together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Place butter and sugar in mixing bowl and beat until fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla.
- Mix in ½ flour mix and combine well.
- Add milk, combine, then stir in remaining flour mix.
- At this point we had to start hand mixing as our hand mixer wasn't powerful enough to combine.
- Stir in coconut, walnuts and maraschino cherries
- Scoop about 1 heaping tablespoon of dough and form into ball.
- press dough down with fork.
- bake 350º F for 10-12 minutes
More fantastic cookie recipe from my Mom