I omitted the nuts when I prepared this recipe as my son is allergic to nuts. It was actually the good old Nanaimo bar that gave him his first allergic reaction at three years old. We went from having a great time at a Christmas party to the Emergency Ward! If your fine with nuts I would add either finely chopped almonds or walnuts.
- Layer 1
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 ¾ cups graham wafer crumbs
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts or almonds optional
- Layer 2
- ½ cup soft butter
- 3 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoon vanilla custard powder I like Bird's Brand
- 2 cups icing sugar confectioners' sugar
- Layer 3
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Bottom layer
- Melt butter, sugar and cocoa in heavy saucepan (medium-low heat).
- Add egg and stir to cook and thicken.
- Remove from heat, stir in graham crumbs and coconut (also nuts if you use).
- Press firmly into ungreased 9x9 inch pan.
- Second Layer
- With mixer cream butter until fluffy.
- Add milk, custard powder and icing sugar.
- Beat until light and well combined.
- Spread over bottom layer.
- Third Layer
- Melt chocolate chips and butter over low heat.
- Cool, but only to point chocolate is still runny.
- Spread over second layer.
- Refrigerate until set.
- Cut with sharp knife into 36 squares.