A light and moist recipe for Banana Muffins. One of my best recipes for using up overripe bananas.
Best Banana Muffins bake up with crispy muffin tops and a soft, moist center. This banana muffin recipe is so easy to make and ready in only 30 minutes! You will want to buy extra bananas just to have some that become overripe to make these muffins as well as my Best Ever Banana Bread or Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.
Tips for making these muffins
Mash the bananas slightly when measuring. Two cups of mashed bananas are about 4 medium-sized bananas.
Whisk the dry ingredients together to ensure they are fully incorporated.
Do not over-bake the muffins or they become dry. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center. The toothpick should come out clean with no wet batter on it.
Can you make mini muffins with this recipe?
For sure, this recipe will make about 36 mini banana muffins.
Best Bananas to use for baking
Overripe bananas are the key to great flavor for baking. The banana peel should be dark brown, almost black with patches of yellow. Overripe bananas become naturally sweeter and enhance the flavor of any banana recipe.
Can you use frozen bananas?
Yes, thaw completely to room temperature. Strain the extra liquid out and discard it.
If you have overripe bananas and can't use them right away, put them in a freezer bag and freeze for later use. I freeze mine with the peels on for 3-6 months.
Additional ingredients you can add to banana muffins.
Chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans.
Teaspoon of cinnamon
This post was originally published March 6, 2016. Occasionally I update with fresh tips, content, and photos. Current update January 14, 2023.
Best Banana Muffins
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 overripe bananas 2 cups mashed
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅛ cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Place paper cupcake liners into muffin pan.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, beat together the bananas, sugar, egg, oil and vanilla extract.
- Blend in the flour mixture, and mix on low speed just until combined with the wet ingredients.
- Stir the milk into the banana mixture. Blend just until combined. Do not over-mix.
- Divide equally into muffin cups.
- Bake 350º F for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the muffin.
- Allow to cool and bit, then transfer to cool completely on wire rack.