This Zesty Avocado Toast is the perfect recipe to start your morning. Adding cucumbers balances the lime and tajin by providing a splash of sweetness while the sourdough and creamy avocado infuses this fresh recipe with a comforting, homestyle essence. This unexpected flavor combination is why so many people ask me to make this recipe time and time again.
Now, let's shine the spotlight on the star of the show: Tajin. With its tanginess, citrusy notes, and gentle spiciness, Tajin elevates the flavors of lime, avocado, sourdough, and virtually everything it touches.
Without any further ado, let's dive into this zesty avocado toast recipe.
Bread: While using a toaster would be more convenient and can be done in a pinch, I recommend pan-frying your bread when possible. When the bread is pan-fried, it develops a crispy crust and a slightly toasted, caramelized flavor. Direct contact with the heat and adding fats like butter or oil can enhance the overall taste of the bread itself.
Avocado: To pick the perfect ripe avocado, check for firmness by gently squeezing it. An ideal avocado will yield to gentle pressure without being too soft or mushy. Also, check the skin for a consistent, even tone, avoiding dark spots or blemishes.
English Cucumber: Slice the cucumber thinly into discs.
Cherry Tomatoes: Cherry tomatoes are ideal because their small size and shape make them easy to slice or halve and distribute evenly on the toast. Cherry tomatoes also have a higher sugar content than larger tomatoes, resulting in a sweeter and more intense flavor.
Lime Juice: Fresh lime juice is ideal over bottled lime juice due to its generally better flavor.
Tajin: I use Clasico Tajin in my cooking because it is easily accessible in many grocery stores and has a vibrant flavor. It is a classic Mexican seasoning blend of spicy dried chilies, lime and sea salt.
Choosing the Right Bread
The ideal bread to pair with tajin and lime is all about personal preference. However, I recommend opting for freshly baked bread regardless of your choice. In my opinion, a sourdough is a fantastic option as its tangy flavor pairs well with the avocado and lime. I use sourdough bread in this recipe. Two other bread options to consider are:
- Ciabatta Bread: If you prefer bread with a soft interior and crispy crust, ciabatta is an excellent choice. It offers a light and airy base for the avocado, Tajin, and lime, allowing their flavors to shine. The crustiness of the ciabatta adds a pleasant crunch to the overall combination.
- Whole Grain Bread: Whole-grain bread is worth considering for a healthier option. It adds a nutty flavor and hearty texture to the avocado and spices. However, that the combination of nuttiness and tanginess may clash a bit.
Ultimately, avocado toast is versatile, so feel free to experiment and find a bread that suits your preferences.
How to Pan Fry Your Bread
- Preheat the pan: Place a non-stick skillet or frying pan over medium heat and let it preheat for 2-3 minutes. You can add a small amount of butter or oil to the pan to prevent sticking and add flavor, but this is optional.
- Fry the bread: Place the coated bread slices into the preheated pan. Cook them for 2-3 minutes per side, until they turn golden brown and crispy. Flip the slices.
- Serve and enjoy: Once the bread slices are fried to perfection, remove them from the pan and add the rest of the toppings immediately.
Other Savory Breakfast Options
If you enjoyed this avocado toast recipe, then you may also like one of these savory breakfast options:
Zesty Avocado Toast
- 1 Avocado mashed
- ¼ teaspoon Tajin sprinkle to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt sprinkle to taste
- ⅛ English Cucumber sliced into discs
- 4 Cherry Tomatoes sliced lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin Olive Oil
- 2 slices Sourdough Bread
- ½ Lime cut into two wedges
- Prepare the avocado. Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, and scoop the flesh into a bowl. Mash the avocado with a fork until creamy with some chunks. Sprinkle the salt and Tajin into the avocado.
- Slice the tomatoes and cucumber. Slice the tomatoes and cucumber and set aside.
- Pan Fry The Bread. Place a non-stick skillet or frying pan over medium heat and let it preheat for 2-3 minutes. Add the oil to the pan and distribute it evenly over the bottom. Place the coated bread slices onto the preheated pan. Cook them for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until they turn golden brown and crispy. Flip the slices. Once the bread slices are finished cooking, remove them from the pan.
- Spread the avocado on the toast. Take the toasted bread slices and spread a generous amount of the seasoned mashed avocado on top of each slice.
- Add your toppings. Top with the tomatoes and cucumber, drizzle with fresh lime juice and sprinkle with Tajin.
- Serve and enjoy. Serve the toast immediately while the bread is still warm and crispy.