I prefer to make my cake pops from scratch. The flavour is so much better than using boxed cake mixes and prepackaged frosting. These Halloween Cake Pops were made with my favourite chocolate cake recipe and homemade buttercream frosting. I also prefer to use white chocolate and a tad of food colouring for the coating. Unfortunately, I was not able to achieve the right colour of orange so I had to use candy melts. You can purchase candy melts at most craft supply stores.
Halloween is such a fun time! I love decorating the house and yard, hunting for the perfect costume and handing out treats to all the spooky kids.
Halloween Cake Pops
- Chocolate Cake Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup Cocoa
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Buttercream Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 cup salted butter
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 5-6 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 cups orange candy melts for decorating
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar for decorating
- green food colouring gel for decorating
- black food colouring gel or black food writer for decorating
- Chocolate Cake Directions:
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour 9 x 13 inch cake pan
- Mix cocoa with boiling water in small bowl, stir until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Gradually add cocoa mixture, beating well.
- In separate bowl mix together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add flour mixture, alternately with milk and sour cream, into butter mix, until well blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool.
- Buttercream Frosting Directions:
- Using paddle beater, whip butter until fluffy
- Add in the icing sugar
- Add in the cream, for cake pops I keep the icing fairly firm.
- Continue to mix until fluffy and thoroughly combined.
- see steps under recipe for decorating.
Steps for Constructing Cake Pops
- After cake is baked and cooled completely, crumble into a large bowl.
- Add frosting a couple of heaping tablespoons at a time, mix thoroughly. You may not need all the icing, the consistency should form soft balls that hold together.
- Use a small cookie scoop to make even sized pieces of dough, then gently roll dough between palm of your hands to make round, even balls. Place on wax paper. Recipe should make 45-50 balls.
- Melt about 2 cups orange candy melts in double boiler or microwave.
- Dip the tip of lollipop stick into orange candy melts, then insert into the cake balls. Be sure to insert the stick about half way into ball.
- Refrigerate for 30-60 mins. until the cake pops firm up.
- If required remelt orange candy melts. Dip each cake pop into orange candy melts by holding the lollipop stick and rotating until covered. Once covered remove and softly tap and rotate until the excess candy melt falls off.
- Place cake pops into a styrofoam block or cake pop holder and refrigerate to harden.
- Add stems using a thick mix of confectioners sugar and green gel food colouring. (apply with a toothpick)
- The Jack O’Latern face is painted on with a mix of confectioners sugar and black gel food colouring. You can also us a Food Writer.