I like to make my cake pops from scratch, they taste so much better than a boxed cake mix and prepackage icing. For these Halloween Cake Pops I baked up my favourite chocolate cake recipe and homemade buttercream icing. For the coating I usually use white chocolate and food colouring, but I just couldn’t get the right colour of orange so I did have to use candy melts that I purchased at a craft store.
Happy Halloween to Everyone!
Halloween Cake Pops
Halloween Cake Pops decorated like a Jack OLanterns make a great treat to bake up for your Halloween Party. They also make a great homemade treat for those special Trick-or-Treaters.
- Chocolate Cake Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup Cocoa
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Buttercream Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 cup salted butter
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 5-6 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 cups orange candy melts for decorating
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar for decorating
- green food colouring gel for decorating
- black food colouring gel or black food writer for decorating
Chocolate Cake Directions:
Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour 9 x 13 inch cake pan
Mix cocoa with boiling water in small bowl, stir until smooth. Set aside to cool.
Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until fluffy.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
Stir in vanilla.
Gradually add cocoa mixture, beating well.
In separate bowl mix together flour, baking soda and salt.
Add flour mixture, alternately with milk and sour cream, into butter mix, until well blended.
Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake 30-40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool.
Buttercream Frosting Directions:
Using paddle beater, whip butter until fluffy
Add in the icing sugar
Add in the cream, for cake pops I keep the icing fairly firm.
Continue to mix until fluffy and thoroughly combined.
see steps under recipe for decorating.
Steps for Constructing Cake Pops
- After cake is baked and cooled completely, crumble into a large bowl.
- Add frosting a couple of heaping tablespoons at a time, mix thoroughly. You may not need all the icing, the consistency should form soft balls that hold together.
- Use a small cookie scoop to make even sized pieces of dough, then gently roll dough between palm of your hands to make round, even balls. Place on wax paper. Recipe should make 45-50 balls.
- Melt about 2 cups orange candy melts in double boiler or microwave.
- Dip the tip of lollipop stick into orange candy melts, then insert into the cake balls. Sticks should be inserted about half way into ball.
- Refrigerate for 30-60 mins. until the cake pops firm up.
- If required remelt orange candy melts. Dip each cake pop into orange candy melts by holding the lollipop stick and rotating until covered. Once covered remove and softly tap and rotate until the excess candy melt falls off.
- Place cake pops into a styrofoam block or cake pop holder and refrigerate to harden.
- Add stems using a thick mix of confectioners sugar and green gel food colouring. (apply with a toothpick)
- The Jack O’Latern face is painted on with a mix of confectioners sugar and black gel food colouring. You can also us a Food Writer.