I love French cooking, the amazing recipes and skilled techniques are a wonderful way to challenge yourself in the kitchen. This recipe was adapted from an old cookbook of mine, The Food of France. The original recipes were created by Maria Villegas and Sarah Randell. This is a perfect recipe to serve special guests for breakfast. Great breakfast or brunch recipe for Mother's Day. The Beurre Blanc sauce is a great alternative to hollandaise sauce on poached eggs. For the puff pastry I used store bought, but one day I will make puffed pastry from scratch. Its been on my to try list for ages.
Poached Eggs with Julienned Leeks
- 1 container puffed pastry
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 leeks white part only
- 1 oz butter
- 4 eggs poached
- Beurre Blanc Sauce Ingredients
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon white wine
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- 6 oz unsalted butter chilled and diced
- white pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out pastry on floured surface to make 9x5 rectangle.
- Chill for for 15 mins, then cut into four equal triangles.
- Place triangles on parchment covered baking tray.
- Bush lightly with beaten egg.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Slice in horizontal half.
- Beurre Blanc Sauce
- In skillet cook shallots in 1 tablespoon butter until tender but not brown.
- Add wine, cook bubbling until reduced by half.
- Add chicken stock and continue to cook until reduced by a third.
- Add chilled butter, piece by piece, whisking continuously until sauce thickens.
- Be careful not to overheat, (may need to remove pan on and off heat)
- Season with salt and white pepper.
- For Leeks
- Slice leeks in half, then julienne strips.
- Melt 1 oz butter in skillet, add leeks and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Season lightly with salt.
- For Poached Eggs
- In large skillet bring water to slow boil.
- Reduce heat so no longer boiling, add 1 teaspoon white vinegar.
- Crack egg and gently lower into water one at a time.
- Cover, remove from heat, and cook for approximately 4 minutes or until whites are cooked.
- Remove with slotted spoon.
- Arrange puffed pasty on plate.
- Top each with a spoonful of warm leek.
- Then a poached egg.
- Top with a spoonful of beurre blanc.
- Cover with pastry tops .
- Served with beurre blanc drizzled around.
Another great breakfast recipe to try is Classic Eggs Benedict