When making this recipe it is important that the mixture foams up after adding the baking soda. It will lighten to a creamy caramel colour.
- 1 cup popping corn
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- ½ cup white corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pop the popping corn kernels and set aside in a large bowl(s). (It’s a lot of popcorn, so this may need to be done in batches depending what you use to pop the corn).
- Combine brown sugar, white corn syrup, butter, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and don’t stir for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in baking soda until it foams up significantly.
- Add vanilla and stir.
- Pour the mixture over the popped corn in the large bowl and stir to combine until evenly coated.
- Spread on two cookie sheets.
- Bake at 225 degrees for 36 minutes.
- Stir the popcorn every 12 minutes during baking time. Remove popcorn from the oven and let cool. Break up and store in ziplocs or airtight containers.