This easy to make recipe for Classic Macaroni and Cheese uses 3 kinds of cheese. Your family will love this ultimate comfort food with its creamy, cheesy, yummy flavour.
Classic Macaroni and Cheese starts off by making a simple béchamel sauce (white sauce). A combination of Cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack and Gruyere are added, then its flavoured with a hint of dry mustard, paprika and Himalayan pink salt. The dish is then finished off with a cheesy breadcrumb topping and baked to perfection.
I usually make a total mess of the kitchen when I cook, so using the least amount of dishes the better. Using my favourite copper skillet, I was able to cook, bake and serve in one pot! Toss up a simple salad to go with the mac and cheese and you have a meal that works for everyday, yet tasty enough for company.
Classic Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 ½ cups macaroni uncooked
- 4 oz cheddar cheese grated strong or old
- 4 oz Monterey Jack cheese grated
- 3 oz Gruyere cheese grated
- 4 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 ½ cup milk
- 4 tablespoon bread crumbs I used panko
- Himalayan pink salt any salt will do, but I prefer the taste of Himalayan
- Cook macaroni in large pot of salted water until al dente. Drain, then stir in a pat of butter to prevent sticking.
- Preheat oven to 400º
- In large skillet on medium heat melt 4 tablespoons of butter, stir in flour and dry mustard to make a roux. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the milk, whisking continuously until the mixture is smooth.
- Slowly bring to a boil, whisking continuously, until sauce thickens.
- Season with ½ teaspoon paprika and salt to taste.
- Mix all the cheeses together, then stir half of the cheese into sauce.
- Mix well until cheese has melted and sauce is smooth.
- Add macaroni and combine well.
- Pour mixture into baking dish.
- Combine remaining cheese, breadcrumbs and ½ teaspoon paprika together.
- Sprinkle over macaroni mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until top is golden brown.