Sour Cherries are loaded with antioxidants and make a delicious, refreshing flavoured water. Sour Cherry Antioxidant Water is made with fresh squeezed cherries and a touch of lemon. Tantalizingly tart.
My sour cherry tree was abundant with beautiful red cherries this year. Now what does one do with all those cherries? They are not so great to eat fresh as they are quite sour, but are very tasty in tarts, pies, cobblers. Check out my recipe for Sour Cherry Cobbler. But sour cherries are incredibly healthy and I love to make this refreshing antioxidant flavoured water with them. Some of the healthy benefits of sour cherries are: loaded with phytochemicals (disease-fighting plant compounds) including anthocyanins; contain quercetin (a most powerful antioxidant); and vitamin C. Research has also linked tart cherries to anti-inflammatory benefits, reduced pain from gout and arthritis and an extensive list of heart health benefits. Sour cherries also known as Evans Cherries are an impressive SUPER FOOD!
Sour Cherry Antioxidant Water
great flavoured water using healthy sour cherries.
- 2 cups Sour Cherries pitted
- ½ fresh lemon sliced thin
- 4 fresh mint leaves
- 1 quart cold filtered water
- Wash and remove pits to make approximately 2 cups cherries
- Add cherries to large pitcher and mash down a bit to release some of the juice.
- Add lemon slices and fresh mint leaves.
- Fill with water and refrigerate. Great to sip on all day. Add more water as needed.
*sweeten if desired with stevia or sweetener of your choice, honey or sugar. I prefer mine just plain.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Here are two more recipes for refreshing flavoured water, Dieter's Dream Detox Water and Dieter's Dream Water