This Dairy Free Potato Soup recipe is easy to make and tastes delicious without the use of milk or cream!
A simple collection of ingredients make a very flavourful soup that is easy to prepare. While most potato soups are loaded with calories, this is a lighter version of potato soup without compromising on taste. Almond milk tastes great and is perfect for replacing milk or cream in soup recipes. If you like, use ham instead of bacon to cut calories even further. The bacon in this Dairy Free Potato Soup recipe adds sensational flavor, but want to make it vegetarian? Skip the bacon and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
I used new red potatoes and left them unpeeled. Be sure to cut the eyes out as they can sometimes be bitter tasting. If you don’t have new potatoes simply peel the potatoes. Red potatoes or Yukon Gold are the best to use in potato soup. I also diced the potatoes in bite size chunks but if you prefer dice into smaller chunks.
Dairy Free Potato Soup
Dairy Free Potato Soup is loaded with exceptional flavour using almond milk.Print Pin Rate
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 5 cups potatoes if using older potatoes, scrubbed, diced, peeled
- 1 cup leeks finely sliced white and light green parts only
- 3/4 cup onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 3 ribs celery sliced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 5-6 slices lean bacon chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- In large dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp. With slotted spoon remove and set aside.
- In same pot, drain excess fat, leaving 3 tablespoons.
- Add leeks, onions, garlic and celery, cook until softened (5-10 minutes)
- Add broth and almond milk, combine together.
- Add reserved bacon and potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer on low heat for 1 hour.
Calories: 135kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 538mg | Potassium: 924mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 335IU | Vitamin C: 32.3mg | Calcium: 133mg | Iron: 6.3mg
If you love soup as much as I do, be sure to try my recipe for Italian Turkey Burger Soup