Beautifully decorated cookies are a great treat for Valentine's Day. Wrap in pretty packaging and give away as a gift or with your Valentine's Day cards. These cookies I made with a stained glass effect, and finished decorating with royal icing. The sugar cookie recipe is one of my favourites- Cardamom Orange; the exotic flavour of Cardamom teamed with fresh orange zest.
Stained Glass Valentine Cookies
by Laureen King from Art and the Kitchen
Prep Time: 1 hour Cook Time 8-10 minutes Makes: 2 dozen
- Sift together flour, salt and cardamom spice.
- Using electric mixer beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy- about 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla bean, mix well, then add eggs and orange zest.
- Add flour mix a bit at a time, blend together until combined.
- Cut dough into 3 disks, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to bake preheat oven to 350 F.
- Crush hard candies ( I put candies in heavy duty ziploc bag and pound with meat hammer)
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper ( must use parchment paper or cookies with stick)
- On floured surface roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out large hearts, then with smaller heart cookie cutter cut smaller heart inside of large heart
- Place cookies on cookie sheet.
- Fill centre of heart with crushed candies being careful not to spill candies onto cookie dough.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Just until edges start to brown.
- Cool completely before removing from parchment paper.
| didn't take pictures this time,|
here's an old pic of how to fill centres with the crushed candy