My husband phones me pretty much everyday around 3 or 4 o’clock to chat, but who am I fooling, he just wants to know whats for dinner. Usually that is followed by a slight groan (trying something new recipe) to a “that sounds good”. I usually get the “sounds good” if the meal includes any kind of beef! I saw a photo a while back of basket woven bacon that looked so yum, I had to include it in this meatloaf recipe. Under the bacon is a melted layer of aged cheddar to add even more flavour.
|I didn’t add any instructions
on how to weave the bacon
as youtube has many great videos
that would be better to learn
how to do this. VERY EASY!
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 lb thick cut bacon (10-12 slices)
- 4-5 slices of aged cheddar cheese
- 1 can tomato paste (small size)
- Heat olive oil in skillet and sauté onions until golden.
- In large mixing bowl, combine together ground beef, sautéd onions, Italian bread crumbs.
- Add slightly beaten egg, mix together.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Form into log and place in shallow baking pan.
- Spread thick layer of tomato paste over meatloaf.
- Add layer of cheddar cheese onto of tomato paste
- Top with basket woven bacon. Tuck edges under meatloaf.
- Bake uncovered 350 degrees for about 11/2 hours (done temperature of 160 F)