Make Fabulous Cakes for more great cakes! This recipe for Angel Food Cake was so delicious, I will be definitely be baking it more often! Decorate with your favourite icing or serve with a simple collection of fresh berries and a dollop of whipped cream!
Homemade Angel Food Cake
by Laureen King from ArtandtheKitchen
adapted from Mom
Bake time: 30-40 minutes serves: 10-12
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour (sifted 3-4 times)
- 13/4 cup granulated sugar (divided into 3/4 cup and 1 cup)
- 11/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dozen eggs whites (to equal 12/3 cups) room temperature for at least 1 hour!
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Separate egg whites and leave sit at room temperature for at least an hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together flour and 3/4 cups sugar 4 times, set aside.
- In large mixing bowl combine egg whites, cream of tartar.
- Beat on medium speed until egg whites hold a soft peaks, about 2 minutes. Do not over beat.
- Add salt and vanilla, beat to combine.
- Turn mixer to medium high and gradually add in 1 cup of sugar. Do this by quickly, but gradually. Beat until stiff glossy peaks form. Scrap sides down as needed. About 2 minutes.
- Remove bowl from mixer and using rubber spatula gently fold in flour and sugar, mix until well combined, but don't over mix.
- Gently spoon batter into large angel food cake pan. (do not grease pan!!)
- Cut a knife or spatula through batter to remove air bubbles.
- Bake 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes, until top is golden brown. (top should have dry looking cracks and spring back when gently pushed.
- Remove from oven and immediately invert until cool.
- Run a knife around inside of pan and tube to release sides of cake. Remove, then run knife through to release bottom of cake from pan. EAT ALL the CRUMBS!
- Decorate with favourite icing or serve plain with fresh berries and whipped cream.