This all began many years ago by my husband's late Grandmother, she would always bake them an angel food cake. I have continued on with this tradition, but I must fess up, I have never made an Angel Food Cake from scratch until now. I'm not quite sure what took me so long to try this recipe that was scribbled on a piece of paper in my Mom's cookbook favourites. The cake turned out beautifully, so light and airy.
Make Fabulous Cakes for more great cakes! This recipe for Angel Food Cake was so delicious, I will be definitely be baking it more often! Decorate with your favourite icing or serve with a simple collection of fresh berries and a dollop of whipped cream!
Homemade Angel Food Cake
by Laureen King from ArtandtheKitchen
adapted from my Mom
Bake time: 30-40 minutes serves: 10-12Ingredients:
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour (sifted 3-4 times)
- 13/4 cup granulated sugar (divided into 3/4 cup and 1 cup)
- 11/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dozen eggs whites (to equal 12/3 cups) room temperature for at least 1 hour!
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Separate egg whites and leave sit at room temperature for at least an hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together flour and 3/4 cups sugar 4 times, set aside.
- In large mixing bowl combine egg whites, cream of tartar.
- Beat on medium speed until egg whites hold a soft peaks, about 2 minutes. Do not over beat.
- Add salt and vanilla, beat to combine.
- Turn mixer to medium high and gradually add in 1 cup of sugar. Do this by quickly, but gradually. Beat until stiff glossy peaks form. Scrap sides down as needed. About 2 minutes.
- Remove bowl from mixer and using rubber spatula gently fold in flour and sugar, mix until well combined, but don't over mix.
- Gently spoon batter into large angel food cake pan. (do not grease pan!!)
- Cut a knife or spatula through batter to remove air bubbles.
- Bake 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes, until top is golden brown. (top should have dry looking cracks and spring back when gently pushed.
- Remove from oven and immediately invert until cool.
- Run a knife around inside of pan and tube to release sides of cake. Remove, then run knife through to release bottom of cake from pan. EAT ALL the CRUMBS!
- Decorate with favourite icing or serve plain with fresh berries and whipped cream.