Homemade fondant is easy to make and so much tastier than store bought. This recipe for Homemade Marshmallow Fondant is perfect for decorating cakes.
I usually pick store bought fondant off a cake before eating it, but not this marshmallow fondant, you’ll enjoy every little bite! Use your favourite molds, cookie presses and decorations to form beautiful designs into the fondant. This recipe was perfect for decorating my Vanilla Bean Cupcakes.
Homemade Marshmallow Fondant
- 16 ounces white marshmallows use a good quality brand
- 4 tablespoons water
- 16 ounces icing sugar
- ¼ - ½ cup Crisco shortening
- gel food colouring
- Melt marshmallows and 4 tablespoons of water in a microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Stir 3/4 of powdered sugar into the melted marshmallow mix.
- Spread remaining powdered sugar on working surface, then dump the bowl of marshmallow mixture in the middle.
- Grease your hands GENEROUSLY with Crisco
- Start kneading like you would bread dough. It usually takes about 8 minutes to get a firm smooth elastic ball so that it will stretch without tearing.
- Add gel food coloring of your choice and continue to knead until color is well blended.
- Roll fondant to 1/4 inch thickness when ready to cover cake or cupcakes.
- Fondant can be stored by coating it with a layer of Crisco shortening, wrap in plastic wrap and place in Ziploc bag. Store in refrigerator.
I made a variety of fondant colours for these cupcakes. The design was formed by pressing a decorative bottomed glass into the fondant. Lightly grease the glass with crisco to prevent sticking, then cut out with a circle cookie cutter large enough to cover cupcakes. Check out my recipe for Vanilla Bean Cupcakes and Hershey Chocolate Cupcakes that I decorated with fondant.