I decided on Pasta Carbonara to pair with my scallops. This is such a quick and simple recipe with gourmet flavour, an all-time favourite of mine. This entire dish can be whipped up in less than 30 minutes; a gourmet meal that you would be proud to serve to company!
Carbonara with Pan Seared Scallops
by Laureen King from Art and the Kitchen
Prep Time 10-15 mins. Cook time: 15-20 mins Serves: 4
- 8 slices of thick cut bacon diced (I try to find bacon with less fat, or cut away excess fat)
- 1 shallot finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic (leave whole)
- 4 green onions
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 cup parmigiano reggiano grated
- fresh ground pepper
- pasta of your choice (I used Linguine, but most recipes use Spaghetti)
*This recipe tastes best served VERY fresh, so don't let it sit or Scallops and Pasta dry out quickly . Have ALL your ingredients and pots ready to go to make easy work of this.
*Oven on warm
Pots required: large stainless steel pot for cooking pasta, nonstick frying pan for frying bacon, garlic and shallots, skillet for pan searing scallops, large bowl for combining pasta and sauce.
Perfect Pan Seared Scallops
- Blot scallops with paper towel to remove any water. Salt and pepper.
- Heat large non-stick frying pan, add 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Make sure frying pan is hot before adding scallops but not smoking.
- Add scallops leaving plenty of space between. Overcrowding the pan will drop the pan temperature and cause scallops to steam rather than sear. (may have to do in batches)
- Sear for about 2-4 minutes or when bottom is a nice golden brown. Don't move them around in the pan or you will prevent them from forming that nice brown crust. After a couple of minutes have peek under to see if golden brown.
- Turn to sear other side. (about 1-3 more minutes)
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to pan now.
- Spoon the melted butter over the scallops as the other side finishes cooking.
- Transfer to paper towel covered plate.
- Keep warm in oven.
- Start cooking pasta in large stainless steel pot.
- In small bowl mix together cream, egg yolks and 3/4 of cheese.
- In large skillet cook bacon until crisp, add shallots and 1/2 green onions.
- Smash down garlic clove a bit, add to bacon. (remove prior to adding pasta)
- When pasta is finished cooking, drain well, then add to skillet of bacon.
- Toss well, then transfer to large bowl.
- Add cream mixture to pasta and combined well. Make sure pasta is still hot in order to cook the eggs and melt the cheese.
ENJOY A MEAL THAT WILL IMPRESS YOUR GUESTS!
Step by Step Pictures
|Ingredients required + Scallops|
|Brown bacon, shallot, green onion and garlic|
|Cream, parmesan, egg yolks|
|Stirring cooked pasta into bacon mix.|
|Tossing hot pasta with cream, cheese, egg mixture|
Pat dry, sear until golden brown in hot olive oil, turn, add butter, spoon over top as other side cooks.