I bought some very large beautiful scallops, looked through countless videos on YouTube and started my cooking adventure. Using good quality non-stick frying pan worked best for searing the scallops.
I decided on Pasta Carbonara to pair with my scallops. This is such a quick and simple recipe with gourmet flavor, an all-time favorite of mine. This entire dish can be whipped up in less than 30 minutes; a gourmet meal that you would be proud to serve to company!
Carbonara with Pan Seared Scallops
- Ingredients for Scallops
- 12-16 large scallops 3-4 per person
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Salt and Pepper
- Ingredients for Carbonara
- 8 slices thick cut bacon diced I try to find bacon with less fat, or cut away excess fat
- 1 shallot finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic leave whole
- 4 green onions
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup parmigiano reggiano grated
- fresh ground pepper
- 14 oz (400g) pasta of your choice -I used Linguine
- Pasta Carbonara
- Start cooking pasta in large stainless steel pot.
- In small bowl mix together cream, egg yolks and ¾ of cheese.
- In large skillet cook bacon until crisp, add shallots and ½ green onions.
- Smash down garlic clove a bit, add to bacon. (remove prior to adding pasta)
- When pasta is finished cooking, drain well, then add to skillet of bacon.
- Toss well, then transfer to large bowl.
- Add cream mixture to pasta and combined well. Make sure pasta is still hot in order to cook the eggs and melt the cheese.
- Arrange pasta on plate, top with seared scallops, add some fresh ground pepper, grated parmesan, and green onions.
- Perfect Pan Seared Scallops
- Blot scallops with paper towel to remove any water. Salt and pepper.
- Heat large non-stick frying pan, add 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Make sure frying pan is hot before adding scallops but not smoking.
- Add scallops leaving plenty of space between. Overcrowding the pan will drop the pan temperature and cause scallops to steam rather than sear. (may have to do in batches)
- Sear for about 2-4 minutes or when bottom is a nice golden brown. Don't move them around in the pan or you will prevent them from forming that nice brown crust. After a couple of minutes have peek under to see if golden brown.
- Turn to sear other side. (about 1-3 more minutes)
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to pan now.
- Spoon the melted butter over the scallops as the other side finishes cooking.
- Transfer to paper towel covered plate.
- Keep warm in oven, if making in batches.
Step by Step Photo Instructions
Brown bacon, shallots, green onion and garlic.
Stir cooked pasta into bacon, onions and garlic.
Toss hot pasta together with cream, cheese, and egg mixture.
Scallops - Pat dry, sear until golden brown in hot olive oil, turn, add butter, spoon over top as other side cooks.
Delicious! Hubby really liked it. I used smoked applewood bacon cuz I had it on hand.
I just made this tonight for my husband for Valentine's and it was amazing. I will try with shrimp next time.
Thanks for sharing.
You're husband is a lucky man Shelley that you took the time to make him something special for Valentines. S happy you both enjoyed the recipe. I've made this recipe many times with shrimp and it is terrific.
This was fantastic! Only thing I added was two hand fulls of chopped baby kale in with the bacon mixture and a splash of white wine. Thank you!
Thank you Gayla, baby kale is a great addition, yum!
Was very delicious!!! Only thing, I like creamy pasta so will definitely make a little extra sauce!
Delicious. Fresh wild caught scallops. I wanted a special recipe to compliment these scallops. Met my expectations. Thank you
Thank you Bonnie!!
So good! It’s a keeper!
Perfect combination of carbonara and scallops. Loved it!
Appreciate it Linda for taking the time to rate and comment on my recipe!
Made this a while back. Loved it and will be making it again this week.
Thank you Kathy!!
Recipe had a good flavor, but spaghetti a little too dry. I would add more cream or milk for a little more sauce with the spaghetti next time. I also added mushrooms, 2 tsps of tomato paste and 1/2 cup of red wine after the bacon, shallots and green onions sautéed.
I've been making this recipe for years. This is one of my family's favorite recipes. I make it with rotisserie chicken because we eat this on the regular. Quick and easy. So creamy and delicious. Thank you for sharing.