Beautifully decorated Valentine Cookies that are decorated with royal icing and a stained glass technique for the center. These cookies make a very tasty Valentine's Day treat.
Stained Glass Valentine Cookies start with my scrumptious Best Ever Sugar Cookie Recipe. This sugar cookie recipe is excellent, as it the cookies bake up with nice sharp edges which work perfect for decorating with royal icing. I have detailed easy to follow instructions on How to Decorate Cookies with Royal Icing.
In addition to decorating these Valentine Cookies with royal icing the center has a stained glass looking appearance. This easy cookie decorating technique is simply melting hard candies such as Jolly Ranchers when baking. My video for How to Decorate Cookies with Stained Glass Effect has easy Step by Step instructions.
I love to give these gorgeous cookies out a an edible Valentine's Day gift. Package them in a decorative tin or individually in a cellophane bag tied with a pretty ribbon.
Tips for making these cookies
- Make sure the butter is soft and eggs are at room temperature.
- Do not over-mix the cookie dough or it will result in tougher, drier cookies.
- Be sure to chill the dough at least 30 minutes. Longer if it is still soft.
- Roll the dough out on a well-floured surface.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper! This is a must or the candy centre will melt and stick to the pan.
- Do not over bake or candy centre will burn.
Stained Glass Valentine Cookies
- 1 ½ cups butter softened
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean opened and seeds scraped out
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1 ½ teaspoon cardamom
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 3 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 40-50 red hard candies such as lifesavers or Jolly Ranchers
- Sift together flour, salt and cardamom spice.
- Using electric mixer beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla bean, mix well, then add eggs and orange zest.
- Add flour mix a bit at a time, blend together until combined.
- Cut dough into 3 disks, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to bake preheat oven to 350º F.
- Crush hard candies ( I put candies in heavy duty ziploc bag and pound with meat hammer)
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper ( must use parchment paper or cookies with stick)
- On floured surface roll dough to ¼ inch thickness.
- Cut out large hearts, then with smaller heart cookie cutter cut smaller heart inside of large heart
- Place cookies on cookie sheet.
- Fill centre of heart with crushed candies being careful not to spill candies onto cookie dough.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Just until edges start to brown.
- Cool completely before removing from parchment paper.
Enjoy this other great decorative cookie recipe for Valentine Day Cookies