Butternut Squash Scones
- 2 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup light brown sugar firmly packed
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup cold unsalted butter diced
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- ¾ cup butternut squash purée cooked
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda, stirring well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a small bowl, add egg, squash puree, and buttermilk.
- Add squash mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn mixture out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough for 10 turns. Roll dough to 1-inch thickness.
- Using an approximately 3-inch cutter, cut as many scones as possible.
- Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes.
Be sure to check out my Vanilla Butternut Squash Bisque recipe. It is fantastic with these scones! Also appreciate if you try my recipe to drop back and give it a 5 star rating.