I love decorating cookies for Valentine's Day. Sugar cookies make the perfect edible treat to package nicely and give as gifts.
These sugar cookies are beautifully decorated using a brush embroidery technique. I used this cookie decorating style on my Cardamom Spice Sugar Cookies as well.
Making the beautiful design on these cookies is not difficult. I learned how to make these gorgeous cookies from a video by a very talented cookie decorator Sweetambs Cookie Art. She makes the most gorgeous cookies and easy to follow tutorials.
This sugar cookie recipe tastes amazing with a subtle hint of cardamom and orange zest flavor. Royal Icing was used to decorate the cookies. You can find my great tutorial on How to Decorate Cookies with Royal Icing - here.
These decorative sugar cookies make special treat for Valentine's Day.
Valentine's Day Cookies
- 1 ½ cups butter room temperature
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean opened and seeds scraped out
- 2 eggs + 1 extra yolk
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 ½ teaspoon cardamom spice
- 3 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Sift together flour, salt & cardamom spice.
- Using an electric mixer beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy about 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla bean, mix well then add eggs and orange zest. Beat to combine.
- Add the flour mix until combined.
- Separate the dough and wrap it in 3 separate pieces. Place in the fridge and chill for at least one hour.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350º Fahrenheit . Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove one disk at a time. Lightly dust work surface with flour. Using a rolling pin roll the disk out to ⅛ to ¼ inch thick.
- Dust cookie cutters with flour and cut into desired shapes.
- Transfer the cookies onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 6-9 minutes. Just until the edges start to brown.
- Cool completely on the cookie sheets.
- Decorate with royal icing.
Another beautiful cookie that I love to make for Valentine's Day are my Stained Glass Valentine Day Cookies.