It's February and love is in the air. I wonder if the old saying of "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach" is really true. But nowadays I think the reverse would hold true as more and more men are becoming kitchen masters. Valentine's Day just would't be the same without chocolate and what could be more decadent than Chocolate Cake covered with Chocolate Ganache served with fresh berries.
More wonderful recipes for February over at The Canadian Food Experience Project. This Month Top Bloggers sharing "My Canadian Love Affair".
Chocolate Ganache Valentine Cake
by Laureen King from ArtandtheKitchen
recipe adapted from Hershey Recipes
- 2/3 cup butter softened
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder sifted
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Heat oven to 350 F
- Grease Valentine Bundt Pan or two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla, combine well.
- In separate bowl mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add flour mix alternating with buttermilk to butter mixture, combine until mixed.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool 10 mins prior to inverting on wire rack.
- After cake is cooled coat with Chocolate Ganache (recipe below).
- Decorate centre with your favorite berries.
Chocolate Ganache Recipe
- 10 ounces good quality chocolate chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp corn syrup
- Chop chocolate into small pieces, place in heavy bowl.
- Heat cream just until boils, remove from heat.
- Add corn syrup to cream, stir well, then immediately pour over chocolate.
- Leave sit for about 2 minutes, then gently stir cream and chocolate together with whisk.
- Keep stirring gently until chocolate is well combined with cream.
- Be sure to stir slowly or you will get air bubbles in the ganache.
- While still warm pour slowly and evenly to cover cake.
I always use quality ingredients when making dessert. If I'm going to indulge in a special treat I want it to be packed with flavor. Fine quality chocolate is a must!
Nordic Ware cake pan I bought a while ago just waiting to be used for this special occasion!