Date Squares also referred to as Matrimonial Bars are one of those Old Fashioned squares that Mom always made. This recipe is from my Mom’s collection in her well used, stained Hilroy scribbler.
Date Squares- Matrimonial Bars
Author: Laureen King
- 3 cups oatmeal
- 21/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 lb dates, chopped
- 11/3 cups water
- ¾ cups granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 9x13 pan.
- In heavy saucepan, mix together dates, water, and granulated sugar.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat to med-low and simmer for approximately 5-10 minutes until dates have softened and water has evaporated .
- In large mixing bowl combine together oatmeal, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Cut butter into flour mix and mix until coarse crumbles. (I use a pastry blender for this)
- Pour ½ of crumble mix into bottom of baking pan, press down.
- Pour date mixture on top and spread evenly.
- Cover with remaining crumb mix, pressing down slightly.
- Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes and top nicely browned.
- Cut into squares.