A true classic comfort food recipe is Chicken and Dumplings. This one pot meal is so hearty with chunks of chicken and vegetables topped with light, fluffy dumplings.
I had cooked up some exceptional tasting Homemade Chicken Stock which gave me a good opportunity to make one of my husband’s favourite meals, Chicken and Dumplings. He loves good old fashioned comfort food and will eat that any time over fancy gourmet dishes. If you don’t have homemade chicken stock, use your favourite store bought low sodium brand. I like to use a low sodium variety so I can adjust saltiness to my liking.
For this recipe I made light and fluffy buttermilk dumplings. I like the kind that are pillowy soft and bake on top of the chicken stew without getting saturated with sauce. I do make a heavier, denser version to go with soup, but this recipe is perfect for chicken and dumplings. You can use leftover chicken or fresh cut up chicken that is pan fried until done. If you prefer extra sauce you can always stir in prepared poultry gravy mix prior to adding dumplings.
Chicken and Dumplings
- 4 cups chicken cooked
- 1 cup celery
- 2 cups carrots
- 2 cups potatoes
- 1/2 cup onion
- 3/4 cup corn
- 3/4 cup peas
- 2-3 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp dry sage
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- optional - 1 packet poultry gravy mix prepared as per instructions
- Buttermilk Dumplings
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp soft butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Chop vegetables into bite sized pieces.
- In large pan heat olive oil.
- Add celery, carrots, potatoes and onion and cook until slightly tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken, peas and corn.
- Stir in 2 cups of chicken stock and cook until heated.
- In separate bowl whisk together 1/2 cup of stock and 1 tbsp. flour.
- While constantly stirring add stock/flour mix to stew. Heat until sauce begins to thicken.
- Add sage, salt and pepper. Taste as you add. Depending on how salty your stock is you may need more or less salt.
- Place in oven and bake 300º for about 2 -21/2 hours.
- If you prefer extra sauce, add prepared poultry gravy mix to stew prior to adding dumplings.
- Prepare dumpling batter. (This should be done just before adding to stew)
- For Dumplings
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Using a fork, cut in butter until small lumps form.
- Mix egg and buttermilk together.
- Add to flour mix and combine.
- Scoop heaping tablespoons of batter onto stew.
- Cover and bake for about 15 minutes until dumplings are fluffy and cooked through.