This chicken and dumplings recipe is sure to fill your belly and warm your soul. In this post, I will teach you how to make a hearty chicken stew your family will be begging for all the time!
I had cooked up some exceptional tasting Homemade Chicken Stock, which gave me a good opportunity to make one of my husband's favorite meals, easy chicken and dumplings. He loves good old-fashioned comfort food and will eat that any time over fancy gourmet dishes.
If you do not have time to prepare homemade chicken stock, use your favorite store-bought low sodium chicken broth. I like to use a low sodium variety so I can adjust the seasoning to my liking.
For this recipe, I made light and fluffy buttermilk dumplings. I like the kind that is pillowy soft and baked on top of the chicken stew without getting saturated with sauce. I do make a heavier, denser version to go with soup, but this recipe is perfect for chicken and dumplings.
You can use leftover chicken or fresh cut-up chicken that is pan-fried until done. If you prefer extra sauce you can always stir in prepared poultry gravy mix before adding dumplings.
Why Use This Recipe:
This recipe makes it so easy to make chicken and dumplings. You can have this prepared and ready to eat in about 2 ½ hours (which for dumplings is pretty fast!).
How to Make Chicken and Dumplings:
- Chop vegetables and heat oil in the pan
- Cook until slightly tender
- Stir in chicken stock
- In a separate bowl, mix together stock and flour
- Stirring constantly, add the mixture to the stock until thickened
- Add in spices to your preference
- Place in oven and bake
- If you prefer extra sauce, add prepared poultry gravy mix to stew before adding dumplings.
- Mix flour, baking soda, and salt together
- Using a fork, cut in butter until small lumps form
- Mix egg and buttermilk together
- Combine mixture into the flour mix
- Scoop into stew
- Cover and bake
What to Serve with Chicken and Dumplings:
Why I Love This Recipe:
Not only are chicken and dumplings an easy recipe to make, but it is a huge hit among my family! It is my husband’s favorite meal and I’m sure that this easy chicken and dumplings will wow your family too.
Chicken and Dumplings
- 4 cups chicken cooked
- 1 cup celery
- 2 cups carrots
- 2 cups potatoes
- ½ cup onion
- ¾ cup corn
- ¾ cup peas
- 2-3 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ teaspoon dry sage
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- optional - 1 packet poultry gravy mix prepared as per instructions
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon soft butter
- 1 egg
- ½ cup buttermilk
- Chop vegetables into bite sized pieces.
- In large pan heat olive oil.
- Add celery, carrots, potatoes and onion and cook until slightly tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken, peas and corn.
- Stir in 2 cups of chicken stock and cook until heated.
- In separate bowl whisk together ½ cup of stock and 1 tbsp. flour.
- While constantly stirring add stock/flour mix to stew. Heat until sauce begins to thicken.
- Add sage, salt and pepper. Taste as you add. Depending on how salty your stock is you may need more or less salt.
- Place in oven and bake 300º for about 2 -21/2 hours.
- If you prefer extra sauce, add prepared poultry gravy mix to stew prior to adding dumplings.
- Prepare dumpling batter. (This should be done just before adding to stew)
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Using a fork, cut in butter until small lumps form.
- Mix egg and buttermilk together.
- Add to flour mix and combine.
- Scoop heaping tablespoons of batter onto stew.
- Cover and bake for about 15 minutes until dumplings are fluffy and cooked through.
Made this the other night, Was so delicious. Will make again. The dumplings were the best , so easy . Will use this dumpling recipe with other meals. Thanks Laureen.
Thanks Doreen, can't beat good old comfort food!