This chicken and dumplings recipe is sure to fill your belly and warm your soul. In this post, I’ll teach you how to make chicken and dumplings so that you can treat your family to a delicious and hearty meal they will be begging for all the time!
I had cooked up some exceptional tasting Homemade Chicken Stock which gave me a good opportunity to make one of my husband's favorite meals, easy chicken and dumplings.
He loves good old-fashioned comfort food and will eat that any time over fancy gourmet dishes. If you don't have homemade chicken stock, use your favorite store-bought low sodium brand. I like to use a low sodium variety so I can adjust the saltiness to my liking.
For this recipe, I made light and fluffy buttermilk dumplings. I like the kind that is pillowy soft and baked on top of the chicken stew without getting saturated with sauce. I do make a heavier, denser version to go with soup, but this recipe is perfect for chicken and dumplings.
You can use leftover chicken or fresh cut-up chicken that is pan-fried until done. If you prefer extra sauce you can always stir in prepared poultry gravy mix before adding dumplings.
Why Use This Recipe:
This recipe makes it so easy to make chicken and dumplings. You can have this prepared and ready to eat in about 2 ½ hours (which for dumplings is pretty fast!).
How to Make Chicken and Dumplings:
- Chop vegetables and heat oil in the pan
- Cook until slightly tender
- Stir in chicken stock
- In a separate bowl, mix together stock and flour
- Stirring constantly, add the mixture to the stock until thickened
- Add in spices to your preference
- Place in oven and bake
- If you prefer extra sauce, add prepared poultry gravy mix to stew before adding dumplings.
- Mix flour, baking soda, and salt together
- Using a fork, cut in butter until small lumps form
- Mix egg and buttermilk together
- Combine mixture into the flour mix
- Scoop into stew
- Cover and bake
What to Serve with Chicken and Dumplings:
Why I Love This Recipe:
Not only are chicken and dumplings an easy recipe to make, but it is a huge hit among my family! It is my husband’s favorite meal and I’m sure that this easy chicken and dumplings will wow your family too.
Chicken and Dumplings
- 4 cups chicken cooked
- 1 cup celery
- 2 cups carrots
- 2 cups potatoes
- ½ cup onion
- ¾ cup corn
- ¾ cup peas
- 2-3 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp flour
- ½ tsp dry sage
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- optional - 1 packet poultry gravy mix prepared as per instructions
- Buttermilk Dumplings
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp soft butter
- 1 egg
- ½ cup buttermilk
- Chop vegetables into bite sized pieces.
- In large pan heat olive oil.
- Add celery, carrots, potatoes and onion and cook until slightly tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken, peas and corn.
- Stir in 2 cups of chicken stock and cook until heated.
- In separate bowl whisk together ½ cup of stock and 1 tbsp. flour.
- While constantly stirring add stock/flour mix to stew. Heat until sauce begins to thicken.
- Add sage, salt and pepper. Taste as you add. Depending on how salty your stock is you may need more or less salt.
- Place in oven and bake 300º for about 2 -21/2 hours.
- If you prefer extra sauce, add prepared poultry gravy mix to stew prior to adding dumplings.
- Prepare dumpling batter. (This should be done just before adding to stew)
- For Dumplings
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Using a fork, cut in butter until small lumps form.
- Mix egg and buttermilk together.
- Add to flour mix and combine.
- Scoop heaping tablespoons of batter onto stew.
- Cover and bake for about 15 minutes until dumplings are fluffy and cooked through.