The secret to this banana cake being so moist is you take it out of the oven and immediately cool it in the freezer for 30 minutes. This cake tastes great plain but exceptional with cream cheese frosting.
I usually make this recipe in a 9 x 13 baking pan, but if you make in in a 9 inch round such as I did as seen in the photos, you will have extra batter to make about 6 cupcakes. Moist Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting tastes best served chilled so cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Moist Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups very ripe bananas mashed
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Frosting double recipe if you like lots of frosting
- 1 package cream cheese softened 8oz
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups icing sugar confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Grease and flour 9 x 13 pan or 10 inch round.
- Mash bananas with lemon juice, set aside.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt together.
- In large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Mix in flour mixture a bit at a time alternating with the buttermilk.
- Stir in banana mixture.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for about 1 hour - 1 hour 15 minutes (may required longer baking time depending on pan you use. Test with toothpick, when inserted in centre of cake toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 30 minutes. (makes cake very moist)
- After 30 minutes remove from freezer, frost with cream cheese frosting.
- Keep cake refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Cream butter and cream cheese together until smooth.
- Add vanilla.
- Add icing sugar, combine, then beat on high speed until frosting is smooth.
- Spread on cooled cake.
Enjoy this other great dessert recipe, Cinnamon Swirl Cake