The secret to this cake being so moist is taking it out of the oven and immediately placing it in the freezer for 30 minutes to cool. Don’t skip this step as it takes this banana cake recipe to a whole new level of moist and delicious! Once cooled I slather it with fluffy cream cheese frosting.
How to make Moist Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Start with ingredients at room temperature.
- Bananas must be overripe. For baking, I like to use bananas that are mostly brown but still have a few yellow areas.
- I use buttermilk in this recipe. It adds to the soft texture, moistness and gives a bit of a tang. Can you substitute milk for the buttermilk in this cake? Although I prefer buttermilk, if you don’t have it available you can substitute with 1 1/2 cups of whole milk and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar. Stir and let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- If you love cream cheese frosting, you may want to double the cream cheese frosting in this recipe.
- I usually make this recipe in a 9 x 13 baking pan or 10 inch round pan which may require a longer baking time. I also bake on convection mode in my oven. If using a regular oven baking time may vary. Be sure to test with a toothpick, when inserted into center of cake the toothpick comes out clean.
- Moist Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting tastes best served chilled so cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. It will keep refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Moist Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups very ripe bananas mashed
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Frosting double recipe if you like lots of frosting
- 1 package cream cheese softened 8oz
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups icing sugar confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Grease and flour 9 x 13 pan or 10 inch round.
- Mash bananas with lemon juice, set aside.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt together.
- In large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Mix in flour mixture a bit at a time alternating with the buttermilk.
- Stir in banana mixture.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for about 1 hour (may required longer baking time depending on pan you use. Test with toothpick, when inserted in center of cake toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 30 minutes. (makes cake very moist)
- After 30 minutes remove from freezer, frost with cream cheese frosting.
- Keep cake refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Cream butter and cream cheese together until smooth.
- Add vanilla.
- Add icing sugar, combine, then beat on high speed until frosting is smooth.
- Spread on cooled cake.