The key to making the sensational sauce is scraping all the browned meatball bits off the bottom of the skillet after frying the meatballs. I use a combination of butter and olive oil when browning the meatballs, the olive oil helps prevent burning the butter. Burned butter will not make a great tasting sauce, so keep an eye on the heat while browning your meatballs! Serve with egg noodles or even mashed potatoes and you've got a recipe the family will be asking you to make often!
Meatballs covered in a rich, creamy sauce! Whats not to love about that!
- 1 lb ground beef
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano chopped or 1 tsp. dry oregano
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups beef broth warmed up
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- In small bowl combine panko bread crumbs and milk. Let sit for 10 minutes until bread crumbs have soaked up milk.
- In large skillet heat 1 tbsp. olive oil with 1 tbsp. butter, medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes, add garlic and oregano and sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
- In large bowl, combine ground beef sautéed onion, garlic and oregano.
- Mix in salt, pepper and egg, combine until egg is mixed in.
- Add bread crumbs to meat mixture and combine well.
- Use a tablespoon or scoop to make equal sized meatballs. Recipe makes approximately 20.
- Reheat skillet used to sauté onions and garlic, adding a bit more olive oil and butter if needed.
- On medium heat, brown meat balls on all sides, carefully turning so they don't break apart.
- Don't overcrowd skillet with meatballs, work in batches.
- Transfer meatballs to baking sheet and keep warm in oven while making sauce.
- Add 4 tbsp. butter to skillet, when melted whisk in flour, cook until golden brown.
- Slowly stir in heated beef broth, cook at temperature that keeps sauce at slow bubble.
- Add in cream, Worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard, simmer until sauce thickens at bit.
- Add meatballs into sauce, cover and simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes. Season to taste.
- Serve with egg or broad noodles or mashed potatoes.
Your support of my blog is greatly appreciated!