These homemade Blueberry Bran Muffins are healthy and wholesome. A great breakfast or snack, made with oat bran and loaded with blueberries.
Blueberry Bran Muffins are perfect for breakfast on the go or anytime snack just like my breakfast egg bites, fuel to go muffins or banana muffins. These healthy muffins are quick and easy to make and freeze great. I used oat bran in this recipe but you can also use wheat bran. Both pack a great punch of nutrition that is rich in dietary fiber and vitamins. The fresh, ripe blueberries make these muffins even healthier with a tasty boost of antioxidants.
This recipe makes muffins that are moist, not too sweet, and light in texture.
Tips for making perfect muffins.
While preparing the batter don't over-mix. Over-mixing results in dry, heavy muffins. The batter should be lumpy and thick. I only use my mixer to blend up the wet ingredients, then I switch to hand mixing to combine everything together.
These muffins keep well for two to three days at room temperature in an airtight container. They also freeze well!
Use paper muffin cup liners to prevent muffins from sticking to the pan.
I prefer fresh blueberries, but yes, you can use frozen blueberries or even dried blueberries.
Can you substitute wheat bran for oat bran? Absolutely. As well, whole wheat flour can be used instead of multigrain flour.
For a special treat serve with cinnamon cream cheese butter.
More tasty Breakfast and Anytime Snacks
Banana Muffins - light and moist, ready in 30 minutes!
Breakfast Egg Bites - a great low-carb, keto friendly breakfast.
Fuel to Go Muffins - these muffins are seriously loaded with goodness.
Bread Machine Bagels - easy to make using a bread machine
This post was originally published July 26, 2016. Occasionally I update with fresh tips, content, and photos. Current update Jan 13, 2021.
Blueberry Bran Muffins
- ¾ cup oat bran
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup multigrain flour whole wheat can be substituted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375º. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
- Combine together oat bran, all purpose flour,multigrain flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. I use a whisk to blend the dry ingredients together.
- Using a mixer beat together sugar, butter, molasses, egg and vanilla until well blended.
- Add dry ingredients alternating with yogurt. To this by hand-mixing with a wooden spoon, not the electric mixer. Don't over-mix. The batter should remain lumpy or muffins will be tough and dry.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Divide the batter equally into muffin cups. Bake at 375º for 15-18 minutes until tops are firm to the touch.
Leave a Reply