Ingredients you need for this recipe.
- Pure pumpkin puree. Can you use pumpkin pie filling instead of pumpkin puree? I prefer pure pumpkin puree as it is just pure pumpkin, while pumpkin pie filling is sweetened and has spices already added. So if using this you will have to adjust the sugar and spices.
- Half and half cream. This is cream that is half whole milk and half cream. 10-12 percent fat.
- Challah bread. Brioche or french bread will also work great. Just make sure it is day-old bread. Fresh bread is too soft and will become soggy in the custard.
- Sugar. Both white and brown sugar is used in this recipe.
- Homemade pumpkin spice that combines cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Butter. Salted or unsalted, I never found it made much difference.
- Heavy cream for the Brown Butter Sauce.
How to make Pumpkin Bread Pudding
Generously butter the baking pan. I used a bundt cake pan but a 9x9 square baking pan will work as well.
Toss together the half and half cream with the cubed bread.
Combine pumpkin, eggs, sugars, melted butter, spices, and vanilla.
Pour pumpkin mixture over the bread and cream mixture. Fold together and pour into the baking pan.
Bake 45-60 minutes.
Pumpkin Bread Pudding
- 6 cups Challah bread cut into cubes
- 2 cups half and half cream
- 3 large eggs
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 1 can (15oz) pumpkin puree
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Brown Sugar Sauce
- 1 ¼ cups brown sugar packed
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Butter a bundt pan or 9x9 square pan. Heat oven to 350º F.
- Using a large bowl toss together the bread and half and half cream. Set aside.
- Combine together pumpkin, eggs, white and brown sugar, melted butter, spices and vanilla.
- Pour pumpkin mixture over soaked bread and fold together until combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Bake 45-60 minutes.
- Let sit for 15 minutes, then serve warm with Brown Sugar Sauce.
- Brown Sugar Sauce Directions
- Melt butter and brown sugar over medium heat stirring constantly.
- Bring to a slow boil, continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk cream into sugar mix a bit at a time.
- Serve warm over bread pudding.