Panko Crusted Chicken is a quick and easy recipe that will guarantee moist and tender chicken with incredible flavor.
This oven roasted chicken recipe cooks up chicken that is crispy on the outside, tender and juicy on the inside. The panko bread crumb coating gives the chicken a tasty crunch. A much healthier alternative to deep frying. Panko Crusted Chicken is a great family dish that pairs nicely with a side dish of Parmesan Roasted Potatoes or Garlic Mashed Potatoes.
What are panko bread crumbs?
Panko bread crumbs are larger, crispier, and lighter than regular bread crumbs. They coat without packing, which allows food to stay crispier. A perfect coating for onion rings, vegetables or topping on casseroles, like my Tuna Casserole.
Panko bread crumbs add a crisp, crunchy crust to chicken, yet keeps the center moist and tender. I also use these bread crumbs for making my Panko Crusted Pork Chops.
Optional ingredients to add to the panko bread crumb mixture.
- garlic powder
- grated parmesan cheese
- red pepper flakes
- Greek herbs like oregano, basil and onion powder.
Side dishes to serve with panko crusted chicken
For sure, but reduce the baking time. If making cutlets my Homemade Marinara sauce would be great a tasty complement.
Try these other tasty chicken recipes!
This post was originally published on May 2, 2012. Occasionally I update with fresh tips, content, and photos. Current update Jan 4, 2023.
Panko Crusted Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons milk
- cooking spray I like olive oil cooking spray
Set up 3 plates for coating the chicken
Plate 1 - all purpose flour
Plate 2 - eggs and milk whisked together.
Plate 3 - stir together the panko mixture of, basil, paprika, thyme, salt, pepper.
- Line a baking sheet with foil wrap, and generously coat with cooking spray.
- Preheat the oven 350º Fahrenheit.
- Dust the chicken with flour, shake off any excess. Next dip the chicken into the egg mixture. Next press the chicken into the panko breadcrumb mixture to get a nice thick coating.
- Transfer to baking pan to roast. Flip the chicken after 20 minutes and continue to roast for another 15-20 minutes until done. Bake until the internal temperature of 165º Fahrenheit is reached. A meat thermometer is a great tool to use!